Backyard Brahmas!!

Some of my unusual colors -

Alma, my blue girl

Blue splash

Snoopy, the man! He's supposed to be a blue Columbian. I'm getting some pretty chicks from him and my splash and blue girls!

There are many colors of Brahma, but like speckledhen said, there are only 3 recognized varieties in the US. Other colors are recognized in other countries though. I breed (and sell) 3 colors of Brahma right now & am adding more colors next year. Here are some pics of some of mine....

Gold Laced Brahmas

Blue/Gold/Splash Partridge Brahmas

Blue/Black/Splash Brahmas

Absolutely stunning! I did vaguely know that recognized colors were different in other countries, but I had no clue about these Brahma colors. Gorgeous birds! Especially that blue/black/splash rooster, wow, he is HANDSOME! Thank you for explaining and sharing!

Some of my unusual colors -

Alma, my blue girl

Blue splash

Snoopy, the man! He's supposed to be a blue Columbian. I'm getting some pretty chicks from him and my splash and blue girls!

Oh my goodness, these are such beautiful varieties! There is something so gorgeous about the blue/black/splash colorings. My home decor matches, maybe I should get a house-chicken to go with it.
lau.gif

@anac1979 Thank you for posting your pictures. I had seen them recently, but they are always breathtaking. Many don't realize that other countries have different accepted color varieties (as well as slightly different traits) in their Standard, not only for Brahmas, but for other breeds as well. I have BBS in several breeds, but this Blue Partridge has just grabbed me. I hope to get a few of those, especially a male, out of my hatch in a few days.

And the blue in the blue partridge acts the same as Andalusian blue in the blue/black/splash for those who are wondering. So, the Blue Partridge Rooster over the Partridge (gold) hens that are parents of the ones in my incubator can give me both colors. I also have Darks in there, but they did not fare as well during this period with the shipped eggs, probably just younger birds.

years ago when I had my Buff Brahma hen in with my Blue Orpington rooster, I got a beautiful hen from that who looked like a Black Brahma, my Glenda, nice pea comb, just a great hen. She died suddenly at around 2 years old, what I think was an accident in the coop, never really knew for sure, but she was a wonderful broody.

Glenda is beautiful, sorry about losing her. And thank you for the links/explanation. I love learning new things! You'll have to share pics of your hatch when the time comes. Pretty please!
clap.gif

Glenda is beautiful, sorry about losing her. And thank you for the links/explanation. I love learning new things! You'll have to share pics of your hatch when the time comes. Pretty please!
clap.gif

Thank you. I sure will do that. I just put them on their sides and upped the humidity. One of the Partridge eggs was rocking already.
jumpy.gif

Absolutely stunning! I did vaguely know that recognized colors were different in other countries, but I had no clue about these Brahma colors. Gorgeous birds! Especially that blue/black/splash rooster, wow, he is HANDSOME! Thank you for explaining and sharing!
Thanks!!! I love Brahmas!! They are by far my favorite chicken. :)

@anac1979 Thank you for posting your pictures. I had seen them recently, but they are always breathtaking. Many don't realize that other countries have different accepted color varieties (as well as slightly different traits) in their Standard, not only for Brahmas, but for other breeds as well. I have BBS in several breeds, but this Blue Partridge has just grabbed me. I hope to get a few of those, especially a male, out of my hatch in a few days.

And the blue in the blue partridge acts the same as Andalusian blue in the blue/black/splash for those who are wondering. So, the Blue Partridge Rooster over the Partridge (gold) hens that are parents of the ones in my incubator can give me both colors. I also have Darks in there, but they did not fare as well during this period with the shipped eggs, probably just younger birds.

years ago when I had my Buff Brahma hen in with my Blue Orpington rooster, I got a beautiful hen from that who looked like a Black Brahma, my Glenda, nice pea comb, just a great hen. She died suddenly at around 2 years old, what I think was an accident in the coop, never really knew for sure, but she was a wonderful broody.

Thanks!! If you ever need some more Brahmas, let me know. I'm so sorry about your Glenda. It is horrible when you lose one, esp a favorite.

Thanks!! If you ever need some more Brahmas, let me know. I'm so sorry about your Glenda. It is horrible when you lose one, esp a favorite.

Thank you. It was an odd thing, one of the very rare "really don't know what happened" deaths. They went into the coop two hours earlier, Glenda never had any health issues, was perfectly fine, remember her marching up the ramp into the pop door. Then, two hours later, I heard a big ruckus and went out to see what was wrong. All the birds, including my Delaware rooster, were sitting on the roost and Glenda was dead at the bottom of the big ladder-style roost. Seemed like some sort of accident to me-she was too young and healthy for anything else. I even thought for a minute that my very motivated breeder, Isaac, was too rough, but he was sitting on the top roost bar all settled down. So to this day, it remains a mystery. She was so sweet, that girl. I never got a chance to get another pullet out of Suede over Caroline. They produced sons that I called the "draft horse" of cockerels, though.

Thanks for the offer of the Brahmas, will keep that in mind. I probably won't hatch again for a long time, though, as long as I get some good breeders from the batch in the bator now. I'm sort of wondering if I'll have to go back down to only a "skeleton crew" of hens in the near future due to my husband's advancing health issues, but we'll see. For now, I just hope I get a nice dozen Brahmas from the hatch from which to choose my keepers. Day 20 begins this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom