Backyard Brahmas!!

Congrats on the start of your flock! We started ours with 2 light Brahma chicks, it was a very happy day. One of the pair, Kitty, is still with us, will be 5 yrs old in the spring.

They sleep at night, and go to bed early
1f60a.png
. Kitty is very talkative, but not as loud as a crow, if that helps. Their sounds just blend into the daytime sounds, and are very enjoyable.

Actually, my Brahmas are pretty quiet. I had two hatchery Brahmas. My Light Brahma died a few years ago, but the Buff Brahma is still with me at almost 10 years old. She is actually one of my quietest birds. When she cackles in her old lady voice, I run out to see what in the world has upset Caroline because it's so rare. My new group is almost 13 weeks old and in there are two cockerels. So far they are super quiet, but the boys haven't really found their voices yet...stay tuned for that report. One did crow a couple times one morning but hasn't since.

At night you won't hear a thing unless you have a rooster and he's disturbed by something lurking around the coop or light flashed in their window.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I was really worried that they were going to be super loud!
Does any one have a partner that thinks keeping chickens is embarrassing? We have a small garden but it is a considerably larger area than any of the commercial hens get allocated.

How big are your gardens?

Does any one have a partner that thinks keeping chickens is embarrassing? We have a small garden but it is a considerably larger area than any of the commercial hens get allocated.

Nope, not my husband, as you can see here:

I wouldn't say my husband is embarrassed about keeping chickens, but he does mostly just humor me and my love of them
1f60a.png
He has always made it clear that they were my gig. He enjoys the eggs and will occasionally gather them for me. He also finds himself grudgingly amused by them sometimes, but that's the extent of his participation. It works for us since I enjoy the "chicken chores" since it's an excuse to be outside with them.

My husband is very clear that he didn't want chickens, but he is mildly amused by my favorite chicken and that when he grabs a shovel she runs after him like a groupie after a boy band. He is very tolerant of her antics ...at least he hasn't "accidently" hit her with the shovel yet......

My husband is very clear that he didn't want chickens, but he is mildly amused by my favorite chicken and that when he grabs a shovel she runs after him like a groupie after a boy band. He is very tolerant of her antics ...at least he hasn't "accidently" hit her with the shovel yet......

Lol, yep. This is something I could see happening in my yard. Then my husband would come in and tell me what "that chicken with fluffy feet" did since he refuses to learn or call "the livestock" by name
1f601.png

I'm hoping my husband will slowly change his mind, when we got our first rescue cat he was adamant that "it" wouldn't be allowed here, there and everywhere. Now 8 years later i catch him having cuddles and calling him his son! It's rather cute.
big_smile.png

My chicks are due to be delivered with an hour!!! yikes i'm so excited!

Back
Top Bottom