Sponsored Post Backyard chickens are a kid's best friend

yikes. I am terrified of rattle snakes because one time when I was about 6, I was out playing in the yard with my mom and Grandma watching me and while I was playing on the ground, a 3 1/2 foot rattle snake was heading towards me and I didn't notice the snake until it was five feet away from me.and when I noticed the snake I started screaming for my daddy and was running as fast as my little legs could go.so yeah, I am terrified of rattle snakes.

I could go on for days....weeks....about kids and chickens! I have two granddaughters with challenges - one has mild autism and the other, her little sister, has Spina Bifida, more severe autism, neurogenic bowel and bladder, seizures, hydrocephalus and developmental delays. Our chickens have helped them blossom! By the time she was 8 years old we could leave town for days at a time, come home to everything perfectly done, and never even have to double check. Katie had it nailed!

Kendra spends a lot of her time in her wheelchair, when she’s not crawling all over to where she wants to be. She’s mostly non-communicative, but she learned to call the chickens early! She can walk with a lot of support, and one day when her therapist and I had her out practicing in her walker. She started to call “chickens, chickens” and point at the coop, but her walker is no good to her on the uneven ground. So we took her as far as the sidewalk went, then her therapist held her by her waist belt and let her “walk” the rest of the way to the chicken run, where she visited for some time with the chickens - standing!! I ran in for my phone to capture the moments, and grabbed the egg basket. Normally we put the basket on her lap in the wheelchair and let her bring them in, but this time, with 3 eggs in it, she carried it back to the house - WALKING!

We had to rehome our flock in August of 2017. And the girls miss them even more than I do. Kendra pulls herself up at the door, opens it and calls “Chickens....chickens...bawk bawk” but they don’t answer. She calls for Tank, our gentle Light Brahma that decided Kendra’s lap in her wheelchair was the comfiest place for a ride, but there’s no Tank. So I guess, as their loving Gramma/daycare provider, that come late spring there may be some yard-wreckers out there again.

I know the value of kids with chickens. I’ve seen it first hand in little miracles right here at our place. I’ve written an article on letting kids with disabilities interact with the flock. And all of the benefits Katie and Kendra have received from helping raise chickens applies to “normal” kids and kids with much more severe disabilities as well.

Sorry, @sumi - guess I do get a little carried away on this topic.

034F487D-D1B4-451D-AD27-EA0317F8F864.jpeg
D6977D2A-E49D-4912-B4A8-18C2364A6277.jpeg

Kendra’s Big Day! She was just 4 years old here. Top shot, she’s standing at the run visiting with Ida, just barely visible on the roost.

Second shot, carrying her basket of eggs to the house. Her physical therapist, Cindi, has a snug hold on the belt to Kendra’s braces, and Kendra is having to concentrate on her steps and her precious cargo. I always say that if every egg in that basket would have been broken in the process, it would have been well worth it!

2D398669-8A73-4DEA-A05C-655B6585E411.jpeg
F64A2501-6EA8-4FAF-9A30-A67BEA88391D.jpeg

Above, the hatching of Scout. Katie got some hatching eggs and put them under our broody hen. In this shot she had just gotten a quick look at her first hatched chick when Agatha shifted her position. Photo tells the rest.

Lower shot, 8 year old Katie first learning to do chicken chores. Within one month, she got her first trial run when we left town for an overnight stay. They lived across the street then, so Mom and Dad were close by if she ran into any problems. She never did!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom