Backyard Chickens in Suburban Honolulu

I bought an incubator recently online from Strombergs. I just bit the bullet and paid the $40.00 shipping. I bought the Brinsea Octogon and had a great hatch. I have way to many chickens right now so I'm trying really hard NOT to find any more hatching eggs.

I actually bought hatching eggs from a private seller. I thought we were on the same page as far as the required permitting but it turns out we were not. She really did go out of her way to help me even though the paperwork she sent was not really what I needed. I received the eggs with no problems. I think it's probably a hit or miss situation. Some unpermitted eggs will get through and some will not. I saw someone on BYC that was willing to do the permitting for Hawaii but required advance notice.

There is actually a lady on craigslist selling hatching eggs but I did not have much success. I just saw another posting for them a couple of weeks ago. I got some and didn't have much success but I also waited a week before putting them in. I do know that her chickens are young and just stared laying a few months ago.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want more info.

I am happy to read about the laying song and noises your growing girls are making.I have never had chickens so its new to me too.My girls are about 16 weeks and just recently started that bawk bawk they do.Somehow cant seem to put ln words but its very satisfying to hear i have real hens now.
I am not in Hawaii so its interesting to here about raising chickens there.Love the updates

Just noticed this thread. I live on the Big Island but out in the country so maybe the "suburban" part doesn't fit? lol
There are a few of us over the islands that post here. I visit this site everyday and post often. I have learned so much from BYC. I am raising marans, ameraucanas and andalusians.

Aloha!

The mealworm thing is going well. I read that the worms won't pupate (is that the right word?) unless there were favorable conditions in the farm (fish tank). Well, I must be doing something right because all I have now are beetles. I tried to save some of the worms, but I put them in the freezer. I think you're just supposed to put them in the fridge to make them hibernate. Oh well, the chickens didn't seem to mind one way or another. They absolutely freak out when they see the clear plastic cup that I bring them their mealworms in. It's hilarious. Anyway, I put quartered peices of bread and the baby carrots from Costco in the tank with them. I read somewhere that you use carrots because then you can differentiate between the poop (orange) and the eggs (not orange). I have yet to see any tiny worms, but I did notice a few of those small german roaches in the tank. Going to have to do something about that -- maybe some screen to close the openings without cutting off all the air. It is pretty easy. I got the worms from Kalihi Pet Store. I want to make the farm out of the drawers, but they're so expensive so for now the fish tank will have to do.

Thanks for posting on my thread. You know I've lived in town my whole life, and until chickens, I didn't know I wanted anything else. But now, I look to you guys on the neighbor islands with envy. Well, I guess the areas that will allow me to have more chickens. With my three chickens (we're only allowed two), I feel like a criminal. Just waiting for the cops to show up and drag away one of my chickens. And man if I could have a rooster....a guy can dream I guess.

I have noticed that there are a number of threads on this site from people in the islands. Someone (hint, hint) should compile a list of all the threads devoted Hawaii. Maybe some kind of directory of the members on the site from the islands....

So like I said earlier, I'm going to try to start doing quails (Coturnix). This is kind of a way for me to get around the number of chickens I can have. I don't think (and don't tell me if I'm wrong, I don't want to know) there is any law restricting the number of quail I can raise. I want to do the hatching thing (ahem, you know...for the kids). My aunt actually found me a couple of incubators from her friend. The friend said she was able to get hatching eggs from the UH Extension out in Kahuku (across of Crawfords), but the last time I was out there, all I saw was a whole lot of fenced off grass. Anyone had any experience with the UH ag extension people? I wouldn't mind getting some free eggs. As for buying fertile eggs, I tried eBay, and I have found some people willing to send fertile eggs from the mainland.

OahuChickenLady, can you let me know about the people on the mainland willing to do the permitting for shipping eggs. Is it only for chicken eggs?

I have been kind of looking at Japanese bantams. Anyone had any experience with them? I know there are some Maui people here. Anyone ever deal with Hale Malu Farms? I tried to email them, but so far I didn't get any response. I know they are on this website, so maybe I'll get a response through this site. They're website is pretty good. Everyone should take a look at it. They seem to have a lot to offer.

The permitting is what is required by our state. If someone from the mainland is NPIP certified they just fill out an easy one page form that the ag department in Hawaii sends them along with their certification. Then within 10 days Hawaii sends them a permit that they attach to the outside of the box.
Quail fall under this same category. Here is a link for info...
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/ldc/birds

If you are searching for someone on the mainland who can ship eggs or chicks ask them if the are NPIP. If they are they are usually willing to get the permit from Hawaii. It really is not too hard for them. And if they have gone through the hassle and expense to get NPIP certified it is because they want to be able to ship and sell birds.

I have found that mainland breeders usually are not aware of Hawaii's import restrictions. I usually have to explain it all to them.
Unless you are talking about a hatchery...they got it down. lol

Just as a funny side note... I thought I might try to become NPIP certified so I called the department of agriculture to see how to go about it. I was told "Hawaii does not participate in the NPIP program". But you cannot send birds here without it..so I guess they kinda do participate... except they don't. GAH!!

Last edited:
Hi there, I am trying to find a baby chick a good home! I rescued it from a dog's mouth in the park and nursed him back to perfect health. He is so cuddly and adorable but is getting very lonely. He keeps looking at the mirror in his box and trying to snuggle with his reflection. I live in a condo and can't keep him and would love to find him a home. I don't know if you or someone you know might have baby chicks approximately his age right now? He/she is around 3-4 weeks old. I put up a craigslisting if you'd like to see pics:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/grd/4128057950.html

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom