Backyard Chickens - My new addiction.

txbioteacher

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
South Texas
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
- Well I suppose I've always liked chickens... I remember when I was about 4 years old, my Grandma would send me out to the hen house to gather the eggs. It was always exciting (and a bit scary) to slip my hand under the hens, or find eggs in nests.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
- I've got 25 pullets on the way (expected ~ June 15)

(3) What breeds do you have?
- 5 Buff Orpingtons
5 Ameraucanas
10 Red Stars
5 Buff Brahmas

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
- The same way I find everything else... the internet
big_smile.png

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
- I spend most of my days trying to stay above water. Life in general leaves little time for many hobbies right now.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
- The narcissist in me loves this part... I am a 27 (as of today in fact) year old wife and mother of a two year old. I currently teach 9th grade biology, and I'm darn good at it if I do say so myself. My husband spent 4 1/2 years serving our country in the US Marine Corps as an aircraft rescue firefighter and is considering returning to Iraq for a year as a civilian firefighter. We are trying to be more self-sufficient... I worked my butt off yesterday planting our little garden. At home I've got two outside cats, Mac and Kitty. I've also got a rat, Marie (named for Marie Curie), and two gerbils, Simon and Theodore. The rodents are classroom pets that my students absolutely adore. My son is perhaps the biggest animal lover (and inadvertent tormentor at times) in the family. He's always asking if we can go see the "ammals Momma! feed ammals!" That boy is the absolute most wonderful thing in my entire world...

I've been researching the past month and lurking on the message boards for a few days now, and finally (as a birthday present to myself) ordered my chickens and signed up. Then I discovered there are ordinances against fowl in my city. Will that stop me? Not hardly. I'll raise my chickens and file for an agricultural exemption if I have to.

There's more than that, but it's bed time. Work tomorrow... I look forward to learning all I can in the next 8 weeks or so!!
lol.png

They live in Junction, it is a nice little town, population approx 2600. My BIL is a High School teacher there. Kerrville and Fredericksburg are very lovely cities too. Fredericksburg has lots of things to do. I especially like the Admiral Nimitz Museum, I have spent many hours there.

Have you been to the Sonora Caverns? Really cool to visit.

Lisa

That's all places we've been looking at. We've spent time a little further north of Austin around Lake Buchanan. We're on the coast right now. In fact we had to deal with hurricane Ike last year. But being from FL, you're no stranger to storms... That brings to mind a question. What do you do with your chickens in the event of a hurricane? Evac the chickens with you? I am dreading June-Nov.

I've grown up here south of Houston except for the time I spent at LSU. But my husband is ready to escape the humidity by moving inland. How did I do on picking heat-tolerant breeds??

I have a bunch of small cages that I use to transport birds to shows etc. I call them my "Hurricane Cages". The birds all used to come into the garage for hurricanes, but now that DH has gotten a new shed, I have aquired the old shed and used that last year. It actually was easier and has power running to it, so I have light in there. I always watch for cages and pet taxis at yard sales.

As far as I know, those breeds will be fine, just make sure they have good shade.

I told DH you were looking for property in the Hill Country and he said "Ask her if she wants 50 acres outside of Junction (we own it and he has been talking about selling it), I am not quite sure if he was really serious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom