Backyard Coop for Hen Layers

RonTKiser

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
Hoping to get an idea on a backyard coop. Hoping to hold about 6 to 8 hens.
Trying to get an idea on a nice coop that's easy to clean and not back-breaking on my back.
I am not sure if it's a better to build my own if I can find a plan or order a prefab unit. As a beginner, I didn't want to jump in to something like a Carolina Coop.
And ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

DO NOT order a prefab. Waste of money. Tiny and made of cheap materials. For 6-8 hens, I'd say to go for something a bit larger than a 6x6 coop with a 6x12 run.

Hoping to get an idea on a backyard coop. Hoping to hold about 6 to 8 hens.
Trying to get an idea on a nice coop that's easy to clean and not back-breaking on my back.
I am not sure if it's a better to build my own if I can find a plan or order a prefab unit. As a beginner, I didn't want to jump in to something like a Carolina Coop.
And ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
You could convert a small shed into a coop relatively easily if you have basic carpentry skills. That is what I did.

You could convert a small shed into a coop relatively easily if you have basic carpentry skills. That is what I did.
"small" shed :lau Your coop is anything but small.

The point does still stand though, and is a good one. It's probably easier than building a structure yourself.

A shed is the easiest to clean option IMO - anything that lets you stand fully upright. For 8 birds you'd want to aim for around 32 sq ft minimum, unless you're in an area with extended cold climate, where 6-8 sq ft per bird would be better to compensate for cold spells where birds stay in.

Back
Top Bottom