backyard coops

when it comes to Price and quality for online coops it almost never matches up, you can get a pretty nice looking look for under $200-shipped on Ebay, however will it last? probably not, but i dont know for sure, i just cant really think that a coop that "cheap" is going to last, Check ebay, they have some really nice looking ones. your best bet might be trying to find a local builder.

I have yet to see a prefab coop anywhere that didn't have serious design problems, either from a predator security standpoint, grossly inadequate ventilation, or designed in such a way that it cleaning will be difficult or impossible.

My advice would be to build one yourself. And you don't even have to be handy with power tools...other than a drill/screwdriver.

Here's a DIY coop that you can buy plans for, if you need something to go by:

http://www.thegardencoop.com/

although I will say this design has a couple of problems itself. An open wire roof will allow rats/mice to scurry around on the top and let their nasty droppings fall right into the coop, run, and you do need a wire apron around the whole coop/run to stop predators from digging their way inside.

Those don't have open wire roofs? the whole thing is covered in clear plastic roofing material.

Anyways, OP for what size of chickens and can you build? i like the minimalist coop from chicken coops for dummies, it's a decent coop and simple enough to build .

I have one but i use it for my calls lol

after that tons of great ideas on the site, most of our other coops were built with no plans.. or i have made in coops in existing buildings, is that an option for you??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom