Backyard ducks

cute bantams

Chirping
Jan 27, 2015
North Texas
Hello everyone I have been looking at geese but since they are loud I can't have any in my current situation :hit :barnie I would like to get some ducks and I have a few questions about them 1. How many do you need I was thinking of getting 3 a Rouen , blue Swedish and a emery pencilled runner 2. Can they live in the same area as chickens not in the same coop but in the same backyard thanks in advance for the help ~ cute bantams :D

Last edited:
I have 10 ducks in a 30' x10' run. That have plenty of room to spread out. They also have a 10' x 6' coop for night time.
As long as you are able to keep it clean you will be fine. I strip out all their straw once a week.

I don't have chickens but I do have ducks in my backyard. It is under 1/4 of an acre and I have 4, soon to be 5 ducks. That has been plenty of room for mine along with my 3 dogs and 2 kids. My ducks usually just sit on my patio anyway. Having ducks and chickens can work but you will need to watch them to make sure that no one is getting picked on. Are you having males and females? Some male ducks will try to mount chickens but again that depends on the duck and it is just something that you should be aware of.

I don't have chickens but I do have ducks in my backyard.  It is under 1/4 of an acre and I have 4, soon to be 5 ducks.  That has been plenty of room for mine along with my 3 dogs and 2 kids.  My ducks usually just sit on my patio anyway.  Having ducks and chickens can work but you will need to watch them to make sure that no one is getting picked on.  Are you having males and females?  Some male ducks will try to mount chickens but again that depends on the duck and it is just something that you should be aware of.
thanks I have seen this behavior but it is dangerous for the chicken

Back
Top Bottom