Backyard ducks

Right now I have a mix of Purina flock raiser and DuMor grower/finisher pellets. Once they finish that off depending on how old they are they will either go on layer pellets or I wi buy another bag of grower pellets. Niacin is really important for the first 10 weeks after that I don't supplement. Flock raiser has the needed niacin but non medicated chick starter does not. Mine are 10 weeks old now so I won't be adding anything to the grower or layer food.

Hey Needless, how would you rate the purina brand duck food? We've got Wobbles on Mazuri right now and although he loves it, it has a high corn content so he's yellow as a marshmallow peep!

Hey Needless, how would you rate the purina brand duck food? We've got Wobbles on Mazuri right now and although he loves it, it has a high corn content so he's yellow as a marshmallow peep!

Because I got crumble I hate it due to the mess, lol. Other than that I don't have any complaints. It's pretty high in protein so I'm not keeping them on it. I haven't noticed a difference in the feeds though and to be fair mine free range my back yard so maybe that is why? The TSC brand DuMor has a lot of corn in it so I don't think I will be using it after I'm done with this bag.

Hmm. I think I'll give the purina layer pellets a shot, then. The thing is, he's so picky...we were giving him the hand-blended feed from our local farm supply store, which is wheat-based instead of corn-based, but one he started on the mazuri the lil' stinker won't touch the stuff!

I mean, I know it's just a cosmetic thing, but it still bugs me a bit. Although I do get a kick that my clinic nicknamed him "jelly belly" after the popcorn flavored jellybeans. :p

Last edited:
So do ducks not need niacin as adults because I thought they did I don't want to feed purina layena but it's the only feed availed here that is not chicken layer

So do ducks not need niacin as adults because I thought they did I don't want to feed purina layena but it's the only feed availed here that is not chicken layer
I use brewers yeast in my feed. it has niacin it in a more natural form and all my flock are adults. Purina Layena is formulated for chickens, Purina Flock Raiser is formulated for all poultry. I used it for many years and just offered oyster shell on the side for my layers.

I use brewers yeast in my feed. it has niacin it in  a more natural form and all my flock are adults. Purina Layena is formulated for chickens,  Purina Flock Raiser is formulated for all poultry. I used it for many years and just offered oyster shell on the side for my layers.
ok thanks sorry I couldn't get logged in
1f614.png
do you think that purina flock raiser would be a good feed for both ducklings and adult ducks

Last edited:
ok thanks sorry I couldn't get logged in
1f614.png
do you think that purina flock raiser would be a good feed for both ducklings and adult ducks
I have used it for years until I recently found a Non GMO feed but we raised many a duckling ,chicks and gosling on the PFR crumble if your brooding ducklings or other poultry inside though and not on the ground with a mama where they will be foraging I'd still add the brewers yeast to their feed from hatch to at least 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom