Backyard pasture mix?

There are a couple problems with evaluating how much value chickens gain from pasture.

The first is that the current industrial practice is to produce both meat and eggs within a controlled, indoor environment. Perhaps most important, temperature is controlled. Outdoors, it's a little tougher on the birds and sometimes a lot tougher. Energy requirements go up.

The 2nd problem is that most of the research has been with broilers that are butchered between 2 and 3 months of age. My observation is that chicks eat very little other than their commercial feed
jumpy.gif
. Older birds become more adventuresome.

Honestly, I think it is quite optimistic to believe in 30% feed savings with pasturing broilers. Maybe this is a reasonable idea for laying hens, however.

Here's an abstract of research done at Trueman State University on pasturing broilers. You should know that this data is based on small samples. Some of the differences in feed conversion ratios are quite impressive but "Independent samples t-tests showed significance in all paired comparisons except Pastured versus Indoor Pen B." So, that one is too close to call. However, "These results supported the hypothesis that the outdoor birds supplement their diet with forage and insects."

A more recent study in South Africa using far larger numbers of birds came up with a 6% cost savings for day range birds. With today's feed costs, that's significant.

It is up to the individual to decide how much value to place on the finished product - meat in the freezer. And personally, I place a good deal higher value on the scrambled eggs in the pan
smile.png

Steve

edited to say that in the SA study a grass-only pasture was provided and day ranging means that the chicks had to decide on their own if they wanted to leave the house and forage. They were not moved about in pens.

Last edited:
I have planted the Omega mix like you are talking about, the idea of this mix is honestly for the seed heads.
and it gets too tall for a lawn and would not handle being walked on. I would say at least 18" tall. I have always planted them in containers, I use empty containers I get for laundry and dishwasher soap from costco.
wink.png

they need to grow I think 8-10 weeks? I can't recall now, I put them in the run for the chickens as treats.
I also grow wheat and the chickens love to nibble on that also. I should try oats and peas.

I don't think the point was missed; so much as I didn't know that was the point...I'm still new at this. Watching my birds I observed that they enjoy eating new growth of young grasses, and were creating bare spots in our lawn, so I thought that it would be a good thing to grow an assortment of greens for them rather than just putting down grass seed. I'm interested in permaculture and would consider doing beds around the edges of the yard of plants (seed and berry producing) for all of the birds in our life, that could grow as tall as they wanted, but most of the lawn needs to be preserved for the time being (as it's also the habitat of my one year old son and two year old daughter).

Also, just to be clear, the mix I was considering consists of: 20% Common Flax, 5% Ladino Clover, 5% Birdsfoot Broadleaf Trefoil, 10% Non-dormant Alfalfa, 20% Red Cowpeas, 40% Buckwheat

and these are just four laying hens, and it would not be to replace their layer mix, just to give them more variety.

~Kate

I've always been very sceptical of the "30% reduction in feed" claims put forth by pastured poultry enthusiasts. I pasture mine and when I tally the food consumption against known FCR I've never found it to be a compelling reduction in feed.

The big thing for me is that it's ethical to raise chickens on grass, where they have something to do and are not bored.

I ended up buying the Herbal Pasture Mix instead...plan on mowing some and letting some grow up and go to seed around the edges. I'll let you know how it goes.

The contents of this mix: 14% Perennial Ryegrass, 18% Akaroa Orchardgrass, 14% Timothy Grass, 7% Burnet, 11% Italian Ryegrass, and 1-5% each of Meadow Fescue, Renegrade Red Clover, White Clover, Chicory, Yarrow, Parsley, Alsike Clover, Sweet Clover, Milk Vetch, Lucerne, Plantain, Birdsfoot Trefoil, and Fennel.

Well, that will be interesting to watch! We're really not worried about the bees...can't have too many beneficial insects around! Just yesterday I saw this huge wasp fly into a squah blossom, pick up a caterpillar and eat it. Love organic gardening! And it will help make my chickens happy - can't beat that. Maybe the other girls will be so happy they'll lay eggs
big_smile.png
seeing as right now just one of the Buffs is helping us out in the grocery department.

~Kate

My chickens graze on these items in my "lawn": sheep sorrel seed heads, wood sorrel leaves and seed heads, new sprigs of fescue and crabgrass and their seedheads.

They don't touch the white clover leaves or flowers. They love the oats that have sprouted from the litter-mulched beds.

Thankfully they have left the asparagus alone, but have mowed down the goldenrod, evening primrose and impatiens, and did a number on the new blueberry and raspberry leaves until I fenced them out.

I bought up a bunch of seed packets on clearance: lettuces, corn, peas and other things to sow for sprouts out in the back--they'll love those, as long as the rabbits don't get them first!

Back
Top Bottom