Backyard Poultry feeder

Quote:
That feeder will work fine but without a lip facing in on yhe bottom part there will be a LOT of feed on the ground IMHO

No that was not the feeder. It was in the June/July 2007 issue on pg 19. The reader had cut five holes around the base, I am assuming that those are for the hens to eat from? There are two pictures on the page, one with a tray and one with holes without. I just don't want to waste more feed than I have too, I would think the feed would pour out of those holes without a tray.

this homemade feeder has been working great for me
feeder.jpg

I used an old feeding pan for a dog and drilled through the pan straight into the bucket bottom witch made it a lot easier than adding straps and such..

Last edited:
Yup Tex, whatever works, works,
Chickens aren't too fussy if'n they're hungry!
Looks good, - same ol same ol...
I guess the major thing is to keep them from spilling and throwing the feed all over.
Gets expensive that way. Won't hardly pay for the eggs or meat you get.

Since my babies are only a week old I am still using a chick feeder but have a question about the larger bucket feeders. As I understand it, the bucket feeders should allow for free flowing of the feed. Are there problems with compaction causing the feed to "bridge" or stop flowing? Does moisture absorb into the feed from the air and further complicate matters?

I am trying to account for possible problems in the future and make sure I have a "fix" for each one BEFORE it eventually happens.

My analytical mind makes me play devils advocate with most everything before I can get things done. I really hate to be confronted with a possible catastrophe that may or may not happen.

I have not had any problems with moisture either. My feeder has slots 1/2"highx2"long completely around the bucket bottom on the sides. The feed comes out very evenly and stops in the pan..

Back
Top Bottom