Backyard quail, in the city

Cats can be a real problem. Our two cats who were raised around the quail never bother them but we were having problems with the neighbors barn cats. Our great pyrenese normally runs them off, but one time we kept finding one or two quail a day dead or injured in their cages. My husband thought we had a weasel as nothing else would fit through the wire. I finally caught a big old tom cat in our havahart trap and the problem ceased once he was gone. Apparently he was reaching through the cage (1" x 2" wire) with his paw and pulling them over to the side trying to eat them.

Since our neighbor has lots of barn cats, we ended up enclosing the whole lean-to we had them in with chicken wire and a door for us. The cats can no longer get in around the cages and seems to have solved the problem. Our dog still chases them off when she see them but cats can be pretty sneaky.

Quote:
NOW HAVING SAID THAT REALIZE THAT MOST STATES THIS ACTIVITY IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL! FUNNY THING ABOUT GAME WARDENS... EITHER THEY CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURPOSEFUL RELEASE AND FREE RANGING, OR THEY KNOW THE FACT THAT QUAIL DO NOT FREE RANGE WELL--- 1 OF THE 2

Also For The Record.... Quail Really Arent Very Good Pest Control. They Are Geared More Toward Greens And Seeds. While They Do Enjoy A Nice Tasty Juicy Bug From Time To Time Its Not High Up On Their Lists.

We've decided to go with a light weight portable tractor.. Which solves any of the what-if's, no cats, to run-aways, no rounding them up at night.

What is the bird per square foot ratio for jumbos??

I use about a 1/2 sq ft per bird.... They really dont require much room just give them hide or two in there.. Im glad you are not going to free range them...

Yeah, the tractors are good because they still get the free range goodies but without the risk of no barrier.

Yes Redhen.. Did you read the second page?? We are doing the tractor method

Quote:
Yup...just got that..
Smart idea!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom