Backyard Rooster

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All, we are rehoming our rooster today. My kids are absolutly terrified of him.
What is the best way to raise a rooster so that the kids will be comfortable
with him. do I need to start with chicks or maybe a really young roo. My flock
free rangers in our huge backyard, fenced in by a wood fence, so a rooster
would be a good idea to protect the hens. We have numerous hawks
around here. What do some of the chicken experts out there think?
idunno.gif

There are a number of ways to make a nice rooster.

1. Start with a friendly breed - Buff Orpingtons RIR a bunch of others. My araucauna's are skittish & don't come around at all - My BO's come running & love to hang around with me.
2. Routinely catch the rooster & carry him around by his feet. Have the kids do this too. In rooster lingo this means you are the top roo & not him. He will not attack anyone whom he thinks can carry him around upside down.
3. interact & have the kids interact with them on a regular basis.

Do these things & you should have no trouble from your roo.

Last edited:
For an alternate view, I've never carried my rooster around upside down. Ever. I was lucky enough to raise him with the other chicks (the first ones I bought), thinking it was a pullet (bought as a pullet). Therefore, I treated him no different than any of the girls - I thought he WAS one of the girls.

The absolutely ONLY "punitive" thing I've ever had to do to show him I'm the boss is thunk him with a finger on the head when he pecked my ankles from behind me. (This was when he was obviously a rooster.) Then I just walked toward him, at a regular walking pace, but deliberately. He had to back up, then he turned around and walked away. I followed him for a few minutes.

That's it. He was fairly easy to catch the night I had to move everybody into a new coop, and I tucked him under my arm no differently than I carried the hens for the same reason that night.

He's a very nice rooster, very gentlemanly towards his ladies. Keeps a good eye on things and stops girly squabbles. He's an EE.

Back
Top Bottom