Bacteriostat in your water for humidity??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have a new sportsman that I have just "cranked up" and it seems that the water pan continues to get a brown "film" in it. I'm guessing its bacteria of some type....water plus warm temps, although our water is city water and is treated I suppose. Not sure if its harmful to the hatch or not. I never experienced this before when I used my Genesis 1588 (perhaps because the water never sat for long periods before it dried out and more added??)

Anyway, I was thinking about the bacteriostat the we put into our house humidifier occasionally to keep bacteria from building up in it....is a small amount of that safe to use in the water pan to discourage bacteria buildup?

Anyone else experienced this problem and/or got a good solution for me??

Maybe I just don't need to worry about it??

Thanks

2. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I would use a bit of vinegar when I had this problem.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Yard,
    Same thing with the city water in South Carolina. I add 1 to 2 oz of bleach to the water pan when I set eggs. This will take care of the problem and it helps to sanitize the incubator through the evaporation of the chlorine. saladin

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Ahhhh ha!!

Thank you very very much. I will clean out the pan again today and add a bit of bleach to it.

Thanks again

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Yard,

I do empty the water pan every now and again because of the collection of the salts from the bleach. Also, the bleach is very hard on metal water pans; so, if you have the choice of plastic or metal go with the plastic. saladin

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I clean out my plastic pan with Oxine. Then, when I add water to the bucket, I add a teaspoon in it as well.

7. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Great stuff Oxine. I'm just cheap, so I use bleach. saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by