Bacteriostat in your water for humidity??

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
I have a new sportsman that I have just "cranked up" and it seems that the water pan continues to get a brown "film" in it. I'm guessing its bacteria of some type....water plus warm temps, although our water is city water and is treated I suppose. Not sure if its harmful to the hatch or not. I never experienced this before when I used my Genesis 1588 (perhaps because the water never sat for long periods before it dried out and more added??)

Anyway, I was thinking about the bacteriostat the we put into our house humidifier occasionally to keep bacteria from building up in it....is a small amount of that safe to use in the water pan to discourage bacteria buildup?

Anyone else experienced this problem and/or got a good solution for me??

Maybe I just don't need to worry about it??

Thanks

Yard,
Same thing with the city water in South Carolina. I add 1 to 2 oz of bleach to the water pan when I set eggs. This will take care of the problem and it helps to sanitize the incubator through the evaporation of the chlorine. saladin

Yard,

I do empty the water pan every now and again because of the collection of the salts from the bleach. Also, the bleach is very hard on metal water pans; so, if you have the choice of plastic or metal go with the plastic. saladin

Back
Top Bottom