Bad batch of hens??

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
We bought a dozen hens in April 2009. They are great. We bought 14 more RIRs in March of this year. Two were roos and we gave them away. Two died in the brooder. Two died in the "juvenile" pen. Two died in the hen house.
None of these birds ever looked ill or lethargic. Never lost their appetites or spunk. We just go out to the barn or henhouse and find one dead. I often check on everyone mid-day. The last one who died, before today, was fine at noon and dead at 4:30.
We also got six Isa Browns in April of this year. They are as fat and sassy as the first dozen. My husband thinks we got a "bad batch" of hens. Is this possible? All of our birds were purchased at the same feed store.
Thanks.

Since you purchased different chickens at different times from the same feed store and not possibly knowing where they came from prior to the feed store, it's possible you introduced a virus or disease to your flock. Prior to introducing 'new' chickens to your flock, you should quarantine them for 30 days a good distance away from from your old flock. When you first get them, they may look heathy and act normal and you assume the same and integrate them with the others is asking for trouble. Keeping them quarantined gives time for problems to show themselves and you can treat them accordingly...your old flock will be safe because they wernt exposed to the newbies. Also, it'll give you time to visually inspect your new ones for lice/mites and other issues and treat same. There is no telling what is happening with your flock as to why they are dropping dead without more specific information. Perhaps you might send a carcass for an necropsy or you can contact your county extension agent for assistance.

Last edited:
The new hens were separate from the old hens for more than 30 days before the flocks were integrated.
Two of the new hens were dead before the flocks were integrated. None of the old hens have died. None of the newest hens have died. All of the dead birds were from the middle group purchased at the same time at two days old.
That's why I'm wondering if it was a problem specific to that batch of birds.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom