bad bird in jail, what next?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karlamaria, Jul 28, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Pecky lecky is in jail, she has been chasing one buff real bad and not letting her drink, she is picking on the other buff to but not as bad. I put her in a cage and will see if this changes her attitude but if it does not can I clip her beak a small bit to stop her harming the other girls? And will it grow back? I hate to cull her, she is sweet other then pecking my other girls. I hate to see harm done to my other girls because of this bad behavior.
    this is her in jail, and this is the buff checking her out LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple of days in jail might take some of the starch out of her,... wait and see before thinking of culling. We have a couple of older hens that get a little too bossy and they go in the brigg for a few days where everyone can see,.. they always behave better when they come out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I would cull or re-home before I trimmed her beak. Trimming, she'll still attack and peck. Her pecks may n ot due the damage they would have but!
    time-out for a couple of days then...
    Good luck.

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    we have one girl who is the dominant hen and shes the young roos favorite hen so it all evens out lol she picks on one hen and he picks on her and she squaks and high tails it for the coop and sits on the roost lol

5. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    "Psstt. here a cornbread muffin it has a file in it. "

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    LOL at this thread! It looks like the buff is going, "NANNY-NANNY-BOO-BOO, I CAN SEE YOU!" I hope a chicken time out works for you. It doesn't work so well for my 4 year old daughter, but maybe chickens are different. [​IMG] Love the "cornbread muffin" comment CajunWildTurkey! BA HA HA!

My only comment is that they look like juveniles, and I've noticed about that age they really start challenging/enforcing pecking order. Maybe it's hormonal! At any rate, I'd just keep an eye on them and see if they can work it out.

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I never thought of a time out for a chicken!

8. BayouPoules

Well,.. it works for us,.. it seems to work best when everyone can see the offender and they will come and eat and scratch in front of her and ignore her as she clucks for attention,.. when she is let out,. it's as though she has lost her place in the hierarchy.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Well 4 hours in the coop and she was let out and she is doing well, in fact she stayed away from the girls and let them eat and she minded her own business. I'm going to do this in order for her to learn harming the other girls is only going to get you in jail. Next time it will be longer. We felt bad, she was clucking woe fully lol . We love her, but I do not want her pecking until blood, I hear once they do this there is no way to stop and the others will join in. Watching her closely .

10. BayouPoules

Great! [​IMG]

Hope it works for good,.. just so ya know,.. we have to "remind" our bad girls every now and then,.. but it takes less time in jail each time,..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by