Bad breath, not pooping much, not laying

Lankheather74

Hatching
Mar 26, 2021
I have a 4 year old bsl that hasn't laid in months. She moulted just as the days shortened and I didn't worry. A while back I noticed her sneezing and sometimes having a line of drool but it was winter, the others were fine, and she was always at the waterer when I saw this. Spring is springing and the other 2 have started laying. This one, Hipsy is her name, is still not laying. Her breath is horrendous, her mouth looks pasty like it is super dry, feathers are in good condition, she has lost weight and is desperate to come into the house-i take them into the garage when someone is sick or it is too cold so I think she just likes it. Her crop is empty in the morning and fills throughout the day. She doesn't seem keen on her feed but is ravenous for the cat food when she gets inside.
I've been treating her with 10mg ketoconazol twice a day for 5 days. She is sneezing/drooling much less but stinks and is very needy. Since bringing her in I've noticed she hardly poops. Yesterday she dropped 2 tiny little turds, I'd describe them as constipated turds. She did drop a nice big, normal looking deuce overnight. Today, only 1 little poop and another tiny one.
I've never had sour crop but I've been reading and I'm not convinced. Ive checked in the morning-crop is empty. At bed, crop is full. Throughout the day, the crop gets bigger, goes thru the regular hard and soft times, just like the others. Maybe she is constipated? I will add molasses to her water tomorrow but wanted to ask advice. Her breath...and her mouth is pasty. She is my favorite and I don't really care if she is done laying. But I'd have thought she would still drop the odd egg if she was healthy.
I tried vomiting her this morning and her crop was empty. Thought?

Could she have worms?

@aart , @Eggcessive ?
I dewormed everyone a month ago. This has been happening for months, but I've only just noticed the stink, the other 2 are fine. And she is a schemer, has been known to fake a limp to get inside, fake sleeps inside, and pretends she can't here you when she sneaks inside.

I dewormed everyone a month ago. This has been happening for months, but I've only just noticed the stink, the other 2 are fine. And she is a schemer, has been known to fake a limp to get inside, fake sleeps inside, and pretends she can't here you when she sneaks inside.
What de-wormer do you use?

Can you please provide more info ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
Welcome To BYC

She may have canker instead of thrush or sour crop. Can you get some photos of the inside of her beak?
Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. At her age she may also be having some reproductive problems.

I think canker is correct. I've called the vet and expect a call Monday on whether they will prescribe for now. In the meantime I've been feeding her dampened food and letting her stay inside. She is pooping a bit more but only a couple of times/day and it is quite light in color.

Her mouth

Attachments

• received_3958850597511900.jpeg
    received_3958850597511900.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
I think canker is correct. I've called the vet and expect a call Monday on whether they will prescribe for now. In the meantime I've been feeding her dampened food and letting her stay inside. She is pooping a bit more but only a couple of times/day and it is quite light in color.

Her mouth
I would agree, it looks like canker. Glad to hear you have a vet - hopefully they will be able to help you resolve the issue.
Read up on canker (Trichomonosis) it's caused by a protozoa and is commonly treated with Metronidazole, unless you decide to cull her. Canker is contagious, so you would want to keep her separated and consider checking the inside of the beak on your other birds. Acidified Copper Sulfate can be given in the flock's water a few days each month to help prevent infection.
Keep your water stations cleaned and sanitized.

Let us know what you find out from the vet!

The vet called metronidazole in and she started it yesterday. Do I need to do anything to or with the gunk in her mouth? Or will it go as the antibiotics do their stuff?

Back
Top Bottom