Bad Case of Northern Fowl Mites

Dean W

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Central Texas
The hen pictured in the front of this picture was walking with her tail feathers tucked under. So I picked her up and noticed she had a bad case of northern fowl mite infestation (per a book I bought) on her rear. It was actually quite disgusting the feathers were black and her skin looked irritated. So I dusted with some poultry dust on her alone. I have very little of the poultry dust left, but do have quite a bit of diatomaceous earth. My question is would the diatomaceous (long word) earth work for the northern fowl mites? Or is it in fact a mite problem as I presume?

Thanks!

DE won't work for an infestation.

I use Poultry dust (permethrin) on the birds (treat your whole flock)- put them on the ground on their backs, hold onto feet. Use tied off sock with dust in it to dust under wings and vent area. Turn chicken over. Dust back and neck. Everywhere except face. Repeat in 7 days or they'll be back.

For the coop: liquid permethrin diluted and sprayed - toss all shavings even in nest boxes or they will be back- repeat spray and tossing of shavings at 7 days.

If I so much as don't dump out the nestbox shavings they come right back.

Sevin works GREAT but isn't approved anymore for poultry on the label. In fact I think it worked better than permethrin.

If you have 200 chickens then you can set up a dusting box for them and put the poultry dust in it for them to dust themselves. Downside is, they EAT that stuff as they are dusting. I don't like it that they eat it and opt to manually dust them.

If you have a severe infestation you might even have to do a third treatment another 7 days later...dunno. For me, I gotta keep my flock clean of those nasty NFMs because they get on me and bite me unmercifully.

Last edited:

I use Poultry dust (permethrin) on the birds (treat your whole flock)- put them on the ground on their backs, hold onto feet. Use tied off sock with dust in it to dust under wings and vent area. Turn chicken over. Dust back and neck. Everywhere except face. Repeat in 7 days or they'll be back.

For the coop: liquid permethrin diluted and sprayed - toss all shavings even in nest boxes or they will be back- repeat spray and tossing of shavings at 7 days.

Sevin works GREAT but isn't approved anymore for poultry on the label. In fact I think it worked better than permethrin.

If you have 200 chickens then you can set up a dusting box for them and put the poultry dust in it for them to dust themselves. Downside is, they EAT that stuff as they are dusting. I don't like it that they eat it and opt to manually dust them.

If you have a severe infestation you might even have to do a third treatment another 7 days later...dunno. For me, I gotta keep my flock clean of those nasty NFMs because they get on me and bite me unmercifully.
Very good advice!

Thanks!

I just read about your ordeal in another thread. I believe it was in 2009. Thanks for all the information. They had them once before, but this time I think it's worse. Already lost one chicken maybe due to the mites. I need to check on the weather for tomorrow so I can get this done.
Very good advice!
Agreed! Thanks for yours too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom