Bad chihuahua....

Put a teeney little muzzle on her and let the chickens kick her butt from one end of the yard to the other. That oughta do it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm thinking introduce the chewy to one of my roosters or better yet, one of my broody hens. I guarantee the dog will run screaming in the opposite direction the next time it sees or even smells a chicken. It will have nightmares about the big bad chickens for weeks.

Last edited:
Quote:
the size of a dog has nothing to do with its prey drive, personality, or genetics. shepherds were bred to herd and are much less likely to chase and kill small game or birds than lets say a jack russell terrier who despite its size was bred to hunt and can be impossible to safely house with small pets or birds.

for your chihuahua i would suggest positive reinforcement for ignoring the chickens. use a long line and practice recall inside the house, reward when she comes, reel her in if she doesn't and use a command and try again. when you have mastered this, use the line and practice outdoors away from the chickens. when thats successful, use the line and do it with the chickens in site. REWARD REWARD REWARD. next keep her on the line and practice with the chickens free ranging. once she has worked up your trust allow supervised interactions. (forgo dinner and train the dog on an empty stomach, hungry dogs work harder than full dogs...in fact, you can get to the point where you only feed her when teh chickens are out and about and your dog will learn (maybe) that chickens = reward and treats!).

if positive reinforcement doesn't work. leash the dog and give a short quick and forceful snap of the leash the second the dog exhibits prey drive towards the chickens. reward for calm behavior.

its possible none of this will work and you might not be able to allow the dog out lose when the chickens are lose (i have 3 terriers that can't be out when my chickens are free ranging).

i wouldn't suggest letting a chicken attack a 3lb dog unless you are prepared for potential damage. using the chickens to teach the lesson might work, but on an animal that size they could injure your pet.

My late schipperke was impossible around the chickens. She was going to eat them even if I was right there. After lots of correcting her with a vibrating collar, she finally quit trying to get them in the run after about a month. All bets were off if they were out. It's really hard sometimes to correct a small dog with intense prey drive for fear of hurting them. My little 12 pound girl was old, half blind and deaf. The vibrating collar worked best for her.

Now my german shepherd LOVES the chickens. Too much I think. I have a problem with her trying to slowly walk up on them so they don't startle, then she tries to licked their butts. So not happy chickens with that. And she'd love to be left long enough to eat their poopy pellet bedding.
sickbyc.gif

My aussie x blue heeler was really interested in them at first. Had to teach them that they belonged and to not try and get them. He totally ignores them now, even if I'm not there. He'll chase off wild birds from their run after the chickens chase the birds out.

Quote:
the size of a dog has nothing to do with its prey drive, personality, or genetics. shepherds were bred to herd and are much less likely to chase and kill small game or birds than lets say a jack russell terrier who despite its size was bred to hunt and can be impossible to safely house with small pets or birds.

for your chihuahua i would suggest positive reinforcement for ignoring the chickens. use a long line and practice recall inside the house, reward when she comes, reel her in if she doesn't and use a command and try again. when you have mastered this, use the line and practice outdoors away from the chickens. when thats successful, use the line and do it with the chickens in site. REWARD REWARD REWARD. next keep her on the line and practice with the chickens free ranging. once she has worked up your trust allow supervised interactions. (forgo dinner and train the dog on an empty stomach, hungry dogs work harder than full dogs...in fact, you can get to the point where you only feed her when teh chickens are out and about and your dog will learn (maybe) that chickens = reward and treats!).

if positive reinforcement doesn't work. leash the dog and give a short quick and forceful snap of the leash the second the dog exhibits prey drive towards the chickens. reward for calm behavior.

its possible none of this will work and you might not be able to allow the dog out lose when the chickens are lose (i have 3 terriers that can't be out when my chickens are free ranging).

i wouldn't suggest letting a chicken attack a 3lb dog unless you are prepared for potential damage. using the chickens to teach the lesson might work, but on an animal that size they could injure your pet.

With all due respect, I disagree. I've owned both, GSDs and chewies. If my GSDs want after something, no amount of treat is going to change their mind. I have to use voice command. If you can't control a chewie, you leash it and pick it up. Plain and simple. Control it by sheer force (force aka restraint) if no other way. Even my dear friends morbidly obese 45 lbs. JRT I can control by force if need be. Not exactly something you can do with a 100 lb., not yet grown GSD. They better listen to voice command or you could have a tragedy on your hands real quick. Point being, train the dog or keep the dog and the chickens seperate at all times. I have a cat that CANNOT be trusted around chickens. She's now a housecat. She hates it. I hate it. A housecat she shall remain.
As for the turning the chickens loose on the dog, we were all just joking. We tend to have that type of sense of humor around here and I think Princess understood that.
smile.png
I'll still lend her my 13 lb. roo if she wants.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:

With all due respect, I disagree. I've owned both, GSDs and chewies. If my GSDs want after something, no amount of treat is going to change their mind. I have to use voice command. If you can't control a chewie, you leash it and pick it up. Plain and simple. Control it by sheer force (force aka restraint) if no other way. Even my dear friends morbidly obese 45 lbs. JRT I can control by force if need be. Not exactly something you can do with a 100 lb., not yet grown GSD. They better listen to voice command or you could have a tragedy on your hands real quick. Point being, train the dog or keep the dog and the chickens seperate at all times. I have a cat that CANNOT be trusted around chickens. She's now a housecat. She hates it. I hate it. A housecat she shall remain.
As for the turning the chickens loose on the dog, we were all just joking. We tend to have that type of sense of humor around here and I think Princess understood that.
smile.png
I'll still lend her my 13 lb. roo if she wants.
wink.png

Give me a few months, I'll have full grown Toms to lend
wink.png

Send your Chi over to my house. One got into my yard a couple weeks ago and was heading straight for a hen with intent when I saw it. Long story short it would have been dead or at leasted blinded if I hadn't intervened. 3 of my older hens mobbed it and the blood was flying. Two of my roosters were heading there to partake when I got there to scatter them. The dog took off screaming and disappeared.

I learned later it belonged to someone visiting down the road and had gotten out of their car. It was scratched all to hell and missing a chunk of ear, but no serious harm. The onwers that a raccoon had attacked it. I admit I didn't confess my chickens guilt, the dog did sneak through my fence so no guilt.

Back
Top Bottom