Bad cut and possible molt. Help please!!!

So this might be ignorant of me, but I didn’t know they were broken feathers and I still don’t see any breakage on them.

austra.PNG
buff.PNG

No worries, it took me a bit to realize my lowest girl wasn't shaggy but was in fact broken feathers from being picked on. I took your photos and circled some examples of broken feathers. From what I've seen in our flock, a way the girls communicate is to either peck at the head or peck at the back. Back pecking seems to be more related to pulling and when it happens the feathers actually break off so you get the v-shapes at the end of the feather. Pullet feathers should usually be rounded so the fact that these girls are missing a bunch of their outer layer and they appear broken it makes me think either there's a lot more squabbling going on than you have seen or they are pecking at the feathers themselves due to some irritant.

Wouldn’t the black specks move around? And they’re only in some spots, it’s not everywhere and it’s not near her neck. Or would there be large clumps anywhere like at the base of the feathers?
I haven't seen mites in person, just read some articles. Could also be lice not mites and the black spots could be droppings. Lice tend to go further up into the feathers and not live down at the surface, only coming down for feeding time. If I recall, there are some mites that only come out at night and tend to stay on the roosts during the day. So you could see dried blood as black spots (similar to with fleas in cats/dogs. I've read mites and lice tend to be around the vent and under the wings.

Missing neck feathers... do you have any roos by chance?

View attachment 2996341View attachment 2996342

No worries, it took me a bit to realize my lowest girl wasn't shaggy but was in fact broken feathers from being picked on. I took your photos and circled some examples of broken feathers. From what I've seen in our flock, a way the girls communicate is to either peck at the head or peck at the back. Back pecking seems to be more related to pulling and when it happens the feathers actually break off so you get the v-shapes at the end of the feather. Pullet feathers should usually be rounded so the fact that these girls are missing a bunch of their outer layer and they appear broken it makes me think either there's a lot more squabbling going on than you have seen or they are pecking at the feathers themselves due to some irritant.

I haven't seen mites in person, just read some articles. Could also be lice not mites and the black spots could be droppings. Lice tend to go further up into the feathers and not live down at the surface, only coming down for feeding time. If I recall, there are some mites that only come out at night and tend to stay on the roosts during the day. So you could see dried blood as black spots (similar to with fleas in cats/dogs. I've read mites and lice tend to be around the vent and under the wings.

Missing neck feathers... do you have any roos by chance?
Now that you mention the “v” shaped feather, I have noticed that! I’m thinking now the head lady is picking on her as well as the black Australorp. She causes my problems but she’s my best layer 😫

I do not have a roo…

I need to do a thorough inspection for lice and mites tomorrow near her vent. My dogs had lice years ago so I’m more familiar with what they looked like and I didn’t think I saw anything but I’m going to check again.

Have you wiped the underside of the roost at night with a paper towel at night? I understand if you get red smears, that's an indication of mites. The red is blood.
I’m going to tomorrow morning! I’m going to inspect her vent area and wings really closely as well. If if was mites, it’d be odd that other birds aren’t showing signs right?

Now that you mention the “v” shaped feather, I have noticed that! I’m thinking now the head lady is picking on her as well as the black Australorp. She causes my problems but she’s my best layer 😫

I do not have a roo…

I need to do a thorough inspection for lice and mites tomorrow near her vent. My dogs had lice years ago so I’m more familiar with what they looked like and I didn’t think I saw anything but I’m going to check again.
I feel you there. Our black Australorp has been a solid layer all winter but the biggest bully to anyone beneath her.

Good luck on your search! I hope you are able to find the cause.

@Micmac1234

Mites are microscopic, do appear to be black spots. In my experience they more normally are present near the vent, under wings. They do move although that is not always readily apparent; if you handle the bird they often transfer to hands/arms, visible against skin or white/light colored clothing.

My first experience sounds like yours but we do not see what we do not know. Take your time and do a very careful examination, move the feathers gently aside and keep your eyes open. Movement of a microscopic speck is not like a moving ant.

Quite normal to only have a few infested.

Good luck!

Have you wiped the underside of the roost at night with a paper towel at night? I understand if you get red smears, that's an indication of mites. The red is blood.
This is true of one(?) type of mute but not all. This mite lives off the bird but feeds at night when the bird is roosting.

My experience was with Northern Fowl mites, these live on the bird so will not show up by wiping the underside of roots.

Back
Top Bottom