Bad day but we have meat in our freezer

Dh took them in and I felt bad, but when they came out they just looked like dinner. I was happy knowing they had a better life than anything I got at Kroger.

Where did you get them done, BTW?

Good job. It's never easy the first time around, but they trusted you and you did your job by giving them best life you could for their existence. It probably beat out the lives of those from the store by far.

It is hard, but it is worth it. You cannot compare the taste to anything else called "chicken." Really, you have never tasted real chicken until you have tasted homegrown.

The processor is a professional, and they make their end quick for them. Your chickens have fulfilled their destiny, and they will now feed your family the healthiest food possible.

YOU RAISED THEM! BE SO VERY PROUD SERVING THOSE BIRDS!

smile.png

We will be turning 3/4 of our flock into dinner next month, and doing it ourselves. I'm worried my kids might be a tad upset by it, but most likely it'll just be me sobbing in the kitchen, while the kids try to help.
hmm.png
In fact, my son has already named one little guy "dinner". {sigh}

I was worried i was going to sound stupid with my rambleings but I'm VERY thankful of everyone's comments.

I'm better today and we're having company tomorrow to share in our first "home grown" chicken dinner. I'm looking forward to it and will appreictiate every bite.

Maybe doing the deed at home would be better for me. They won't have the stress of being transported and we could do it one at a time, away from the rest. I'm just too sure about the plucking process but I have time to do some reading (and get over this last batch).

Thank you all sooooo much!!!
love.gif

I have found that home processing is not difficult, but it is time consuming. Expect 45 minutes to an hour PER CHICKEN. The final pin feather removal can make it take even longer. Personally I much prefer using a processor, as the chickens come out looking MUCH BETTER than if we did them at home, and the cost is not the issue. I don't mind paying to have it done right, and the place we use is only $3 per chicken. They are also done much faster at the processor.

I'm glad you are feeling better today, and I hope you have a nice homegrown chicken celebration. How are you going to prepare it? One thing to remember, your homegrown chickens are not injected with salt solutions, so brining can help bring out a flavor you are more familiar with, if that is a concern.

I thought about the stress issue, too, so when their time came, I insisted I was the one to hold them and stretch their necks. They peeped safely in my arms just like they did as baby chicks, so I know mine did not stress out as they would have if someone else was handling them.

The feathers just slide off if you have a big pot of boiling water and count to 4-5 for the first few, then count up to a longer time frame towards the end. I hold their feet and submerge them, then all feathers slide off easily along w/wing feathers pull out, easily, too.

My dad and I finished the last four meaties today. From start to finish it took us an hour and a half for the four. 145 degree water is the key to plucking. Everything comes right off quickly and easily. I slosh the bird around in the large pot of water and do a few "checks" to see if the feathers are sliding off well. I would guess it is about twenty seconds or so of dunking. Longest time of processing is actually being so careful when cutting into the bird to remove insides. Don't want to knick a bowel or anything. Once opened, run your hand up along breast bone as far as it goes, grab and pull. Usually everything comes out in one pull. Sometimes have to go back for the windpipe and etc in the neck. Sorry if graphic, it just makes it easier for me to be "clinical" about it. After feet and feathers and head are removed, it just looks like chicken from the store....

And you still have to clean out that one too.....and who knows where it has been or what it has been through.

Jane

One way to appreciate the whole thing a little more is to process them yourself next time. Then you won't ever think of a chicken as a pet or friend or anything close to that ever again.

I'm going to save this entire thread for the next time we raise meat birds and re-read it when it gets time for processing. I'm certain I want to try home processing, for me and them. We'll probably just start with a few to see how it goes but I think we can do it and all the tips on plucking makes it sound easier than I expected. Hopefully, it's not too bad.

Dangerouschicken, I had no idea that store bought chickens were injected with anything! Thanks for the heads up. We bought a rotisserie today and we're planning on grilling our first bird. Add some grilled corn on the cob, a nice salad, a bottle of wine and I think we should have a wonderful dinner. Thanks all and especially thanks to our first batch of meat birds!
Now, that processig day is here and gone, I'm going to enjoy what they gave to us. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom