bad day

cbrown86

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Missouri
Well, came home from work and my fave chick was dead. I'm feeling quite discouraged. I have done everything I've been told and have still lost 4 chicks. I don't know what else to do.
hit.gif
I hate when any poor little creature dies, and I've lost 4 in less than 1 wk!

whoa whoa whoa. Give me a litte background. Do you know whats happening

to your birds? Losing that many in a week isn't normal. Im very sorry for your losses.

But whats the housing/diet/bedding etc like? We may be able to figure out why they are dying,

unless I'm missing a thread where you explained somwhere.

Yeah, I had an original post when the other 3 died. The first one acted a little funny. She kept falling over and wobbling when she walked. She was smaller than the others, and I thought maybe she was too cold, so I lowered the heat lamp. Well, the next morning, she was dead and the other 2 started acting lethargic. I took an hr nap and when I got up and checked on them, they were dead. I've tried just using a regular light bulb, giving em sugar water, changing the bedding from pine shavings to shredded paper towels. They didn't have weird poop. They had plenty of food and water. I tested the temp. I've tried pretty much every suggestion I have been given. Yesterday, both remaining chicks were doing great. And even when I left for work this morning they were fine. I called my husband on my break, at around 10:30, and they were still doing good. Then I got home from work at 7:30, and another was dead. And she was my favorite, bc she was so friendly.
sad.png

It sounds to me like you got some bad chicks. I didnt read your other post but folks probably told you about chills during shipping, Marek's and all the other diseases etc. I guess I would chalk this bunch up to experience and try again...sorry your first try was so hard! Terri O

Truth is with shipped chicks it is a 50% survival rate. The stress from being shipped is very hard on them. Also some chicks just give up despite appearing healthy.
Getting past the first week in chick raising is a big milestone for the wee babies.
Not sure how mamy you ordered but if the majority made it then be happy for the survivors. Do not beat yourself up on the ones you lost as you did the best you could.
hugs.gif

Hang in there.

So sorry you've lost another one. Do you still have them in the tiny brooder box with a duckling? Have you lowered the temp in the brooder? I recall they were much too hot and crowded when you lost the earlier ones, just trying to make sure it isn't that again.
sad.png

Truth is, you can expect to lose a few chicks, but certainly not 50%, shipped or not. That's something that happens rarely, when it's too hot or too cold outside. I've raised chicks for almost 19 years and have only lost one in all that time.

Hope the rest make it.

I seperated the chick from the ducks. And put a regular bulb in the lamp. But now my chick chirps all the time, unless I hold her.

hugs.gif
so sad. You only have one left? you might want to give it a stuffed animal till you figure out what's going on. once you're sure it's nothing contagious and nothing to do with conditions in the brooder you'll need to get some more for company. Do you have a thermometer in there so you know the temp?

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel for you.
hugs.gif
I am glad you have one left, you can spoil that one all you want. It'll need friends so I hope you'll consider trying another bunch of feathered wonders.

Back
Top Bottom