Bad dog attack injury

That is such a large wound, and I am not sure what organs are affected. I would be inclined to place her in a wire dog crate or a basket with clean towels for bedding. Bring her inside, so that flies are not a problem which can cause maggot infestation or flystrike. I like povidone iodine (betadine) 10% or chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and water for such a deep wound. Saline can be good to use after the initial disinfection, but continue the other for a day or two if there is a bado odor or signs of infection. Twice a day I would irrigate the wound and apply plain triple antibiotic ointment. I would leave it open.

Is she having any trouble eating or drinking or touble breathing? Is she able to stand and walk? The wound is near the lungs in the back and air sacs.
Excellent :goodpost:

She might possibly have some internal damage which is affecting her appetite, but I would try to offer food and water just in case she wants to start eating. Fluids are more important than food at first, and if you have any electrolytes (SaveaChick, Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, even Pedialyte or Gatorade,) those may be helpful. I would try to keep her wound clean and then go day by day. Hopefully, she will make it, but we never know with dog attacks. She will need to remain separated from her flock until she is mostly healed, but if she recovers, you may take her out in a dog crate for supervised visits when she is more stable and her wound is healing.

Arnica is the one for physical trauma, also mental shock after physical trauma. Good to have around the house also for very tired and sore muscles and for mental fatigue, like after a night with not enough sleep, works like coffee. Yesterday I was surprised to see that Arnica30 made by Boiron has over one thousand reviews! How's that for a testimony ? :)

I've read a few books (skimmed them tbh), I'm just a beginner. There is a bit of conflicting information, it is used for surgery before and after (to reduce pain and to speed up healing), also for dental surgery, but the boring guy from the video says that typically it is not for open wounds (?!?). Still she needs Arnica to get over the shock and for pain (that's what all the other sources say, including himself when he mentions surgery). But if you order it from amazon, I'd get Calendula too. Calendula: open wounds with capillary bleeding (like in hands, feet, etc.) raw, open, and inflamed wounds whenever fever is present; early stages of infection with whitish pus draining from closed wound. Calendula is frequently used as an ointment, but I think I'd use sugar on the wound once it is clotted, not while there's still fresh blood. So I'd get Calendula30 in pellet form (that's how they call their pills), as a follow up after Arnica30.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012DRM98I/?tag=backy-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DNPS3I/?tag=backy-20
One of the ways to do research is by looking at the amazon comments. ;)

If you decide to get them I'll be here because there's more to be said about how to administer and how much. In the meantime, she needs electrolyte water, it is very important in the first 24 hrs after an injury. A little sugar with a pinch of salt in water.

Arnica is the one for physical trauma, also mental shock after physical trauma. Good to have around the house also for very tired and sore muscles and for mental fatigue, like after a night with not enough sleep, works like coffee. Yesterday I was surprised to see that Arnica30 made by Boiron has over one thousand reviews! How's that for a testimony ?
This is off topic, but I've looked in to it for my osteoarthritis
One of the ways to do research is by looking at the amazon comments. ;)
100% agree!

She might possibly have some internal damage which is affecting her appetite, but I would try to offer food and water just in case she wants to start eating. Fluids are more important than food at first, and if you have any electrolytes (SaveaChick, Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, even Pedialyte or Gatorade,) those may be helpful. I would try to keep her wound clean and then go day by day. Hopefully, she will make it, but we never know with dog attacks. She will need to remain separated from her flock until she is mostly healed, but if she recovers, you may take her out in a dog crate for supervised visits when she is more stable and her wound is healing.

Yes I do have Nutridrench! I added it into her water earlier, as I’m hoping it will help her to perk up.

Hi @Trimurtisan, Arnica is not good for arthritis, it is a first aid remedy mainly. There are hundreds of 'remedies' for pain. If you want we can PM and I'll tell you more, there are a few for arthritis.
That's the first I've heard of it not being for arthritis. Not that I am educated on it, nor am I say your wrong, just have not heard that yet. Thank you.

I appreciate the offer, but I too like homeopathic remedies and treat most of my ailment through diet and exercise. I do have arthritis and osteoarthritis, but my pain rarely flares up.

I try to grow everything I can vs buying it in a product, but I read that Arnica is poisonous in it's raw form and must be heavily diluted. I kind of stopped researching it after that. Seeds are much cheaper than products, plus I've got young ones (bird and human hatchings) running around here I wouldn't want to accidentally consume it.

Very interesting what you're saying, because that's the first time I heard that it IS actually good for arthritis. Looked it up, turns out we're both right! For arthritis, it is used mainly in gels, for topical application and at low potencies, I assume because it relieves pain and inflammation locally. If it's in pill form, it's not targeted enough, or not enough of a silver bullet to help with arthritis, so they put a few others in there like Bryonia, Dulcamara, Rhus Toxicodendron that I recognize as the big names for arthritis. However, there is a lot of debate in homeopathy if mixing remedies should be allowed, in classical homeopathy only one is given at a time, then changed with another if needed, but only one at one time. Of course, everyone - the ones who practice classical homeopathy and the ones who mix them together - everyone says their method is superior.

About the remedies being made from poisons - yes this is very true, some of them are made from poisons, for example lead, arsenic, different poisonous plants, but they are extremely diluted (no danger whatsoever) and also shaken in-between the dilutions. Nobody understands how they work, but on the other hand nobody understands how a lot of other drugs work, or how acupuncture works, we can only see what happens, not how or why it happens. Big Pharma likes to malign homeopathy and lie and call it poison but they do happen to manufacture pharmaceuticals that are in direct competition with homeopathic remedies. Another way to attack homeopathy is by calling it sugar pill or placebo, mmmkay, then why does it work on babies and animals? They don't know what's going on, so how can they self-suggest themselves?

Back
Top Bottom