BAD DOG

She may not have been able to see where she was going, so I'll cut her some slack..LOL.........
yesss.gif

We use the "Come" command to our dogs and man will my GSP come!
Secondly we use a coaches whistle in 2 short bursts for the times he gets out of ear shot.....the whistle mean business.....he comes in w/ his tail down when the whistle comes out.....
In birddog training the very 1st item I was told to teach them is the "Whoa" command. When they are doing anything at all a WHOA will stop them in their tracks. Weather it be running from you, heading out the driveway, chasing something, etc.....they will litteraly skid to a stop and hold....Only takes a lead and some time to teach them...

My dog is trained that 'NO' means "look at me- come to me is you are not by me" the only negative is if hubbie and I both yell no when she lunges the roosters (to get them to move for a game of chase ...*shm*) she dosen't know who to come to.

In those case I follow with a syurp 'come' call so she has direction.

She's never in trouble for 'come' -

She's only in trouble for food stealing and chicken harrasing.

Only had her a year though, still havent figured out how to get an 80# dog to stand-"stay" when I am in front of her (she does it brillinetly with me to the side or behind or at proper heel. So ATM if I need a 'stay' I put her around me or just in front and she holds- *sigh*)

Just a note here:

Any dog can be trained to come. I have owned multiple sight hounds and all my dogs would come instantly when called. I could call a pack of 4 hounds hot on game and they would all stop instantly and return to my side. That includes both Saluki and Borzoi, who are notoriously deaf when they are on game.

Some dogs are more work. Different dogs have different motivation, and you have to find what motivates them. All need refresher courses. But they can all be trained.

Incidentily, I have never struck a dog in my life and it is so rare for me to raise my voice that when I do, it terrifies them because they have never learned to deal with my anger.. Training is creating a habit. That's it. repeat, repeat, repeat, until it is hard wired into their brain.

I have one of those "I can't hear you" dogs, too. We are working hard on her recall. She happens to be very food motivated. So every time I take her out, I take cut up something (hotdogs, cheese) so she associated coming to me with yummy things! I also practice with her a LOT. let her take 5 steps and call her and when she comes, act like she is the best dog ever! "Oh what a good girl you are" followed by lots of love. Let her then take another 5 steps and repeat. Then try 10 steps, and 20. NEVER, EVER punish her when she comes to you, no matter how frustrated you are! I also never immediately take mine in to the house. I wait at least a few minutes.

but if she learns to associate you calling her with all things good, she will change her tune. If need be, put her on a long line to practice (a 6 foot rope tied to her collar). Call her "Insert her name here, come". gently pull her to you. "Good girl! What a good girl you are!!!!!" Treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Keep the sessions short; 5 minutes or so a few times a day. It is a lot of work, but worth it. And she will get it. I have had lots of old dogs in my life who have come to me from situations where they had NO IDEA how to actually be a dog. Didn't know anything but living in a cage and being bred. You can do this. And so can she!! And you will both end up so much happier. Remember, your dog WANTS to please you. You just may need to show her how.

but if she learns to associate you calling her with all things good, she will change her tune. If need be, put her on a long line to practice (a 6 foot rope tied to her collar). Call her "Insert her name here, come". gently pull her to you. "Good girl! What a good girl you are!!!!!" Treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Keep the sessions short; 5 minutes or so a few times a day. It is a lot of work, but worth it. And she will get it. I have had lots of old dogs in my life who have come to me from situations where they had NO IDEA how to actually be a dog. Didn't know anything but living in a cage and being bred. You can do this. And so can she!! And you will both end up so much happier. Remember, your dog WANTS to please you. You just may need to show her how.

Yeah your right

LoweBow I LOVE your avatar. Great advertisement for hardware cloth.
tongue.png

I have a new timid and fearful dog who learned somewhere along the line that COME meant RUN AWAY,RUN AWAY but she responds better to COME ON called excitedly like boy are we going to have fun. One time I had to lie down on the ground and roll around a little to get her to come over and another time her collar came off as we were getting into the car and I had to quickly call my collie over to go get her. She does that by going to her and getting her to chase her or follow her. You can do that too, call Come with her on a long line and then run away with a treat in your hand. Makes it more fun. Once my dogs know the command, if I call them once and they don't come, then i go get them and it is not as much fun. I also never call them to me and then do something they don't like. If they need a bath or nails done I just go get them. Good luck, she is super cute.

LoweBow I LOVE your avatar. Great advertisement for hardware cloth.
tongue.png

I have a new timid and fearful dog who learned somewhere along the line that COME meant RUN AWAY,RUN AWAY but she responds better to COME ON called excitedly like boy are we going to have fun. One time I had to lie down on the ground and roll around a little to get her to come over and another time her collar came off as we were getting into the car and I had to quickly call my collie over to go get her. She does that by going to her and getting her to chase her or follow her. You can do that too, call Come with her on a long line and then run away with a treat in your hand. Makes it more fun. Once my dogs know the command, if I call them once and they don't come, then i go get them and it is not as much fun. I also never call them to me and then do something they don't like. If they need a bath or nails done I just go get them. Good luck, she is super cute.

+1

Back
Top Bottom