Bad drake behavior

Aprylb

Chirping
Mar 8, 2019
Disputanta, Virginia
Little Runt (my drake) is almost a year old. He's a Mallard Khaki mix. He has 4 ladies but is obsessed with the one he has been with since hatching. He follows her everywhere she goes. He mates all the ducks but never leaves the ones side. For some reason when one particular duck comes around his girlfriend, Runt chases her and pulls out her feathers. I have tried putting him in time out but it doesn't work. As soon as you let him out he goes right back to chasing her. Any ideas how to stop this behavior? He doesn't chase any of the others.

I had a drake doing something similar but to me at first then my young ducklings. Someone suggested a long term time out for a week or two. he got let out for free ranging only. After a week his views changed and he stopped being the mean jerk and started acting like a reasonable duck.

I had a drake doing something similar but to me at first then my young ducklings. Someone suggested a long term time out for a week or two. he got let out for free ranging only. After a week his views changed and he stopped being the mean jerk and started acting like a reasonable duck.
I tried that. He rejoined the flock today after beging kept seperate from them for 2 weeks. Within 30 minutes he was chasing the one duck.

Mine does the exact same thing! Dude man has been on lock down forever it seems! I have the entire backyard completely separated. He follows his hatch mate like a puppy dog. He’s relentless with his favorite girl and chases one off, poor girls can’t even get in the water or eat. It’s maddening and unfortunately I have not a clue as to why? The separation blues run deep here.

Back
Top Bottom