Bad egg. Black inside. What happened? Gross picture

FarmFullOfFowl

Songster
Jun 7, 2021
Olympic Peninsula, Washington
There is a gross photo attached below- warning.

This is my first time incubating eggs and I am trying to hatch Embden geese. Of the seven I started with, I believe two are alive and moving around! Yeay! I pulled three out today at day 15 after candling. I cracked this one open to see what was wrong and it was a black mess inside. What has caused this? Is this bacterial contamination?
thank you!
9D6A0578-7E98-4B08-93A3-869003824C37.jpeg

I’ve never cracked open an egg I thought was rotten, but this is something of what I’d imagine I’d see!! Was it stinky??

Had the eggs been wiped/washed before incubating? This can increase the chances of contaminants getting in the egg. Or maybe there was a little micro crack. Or she’ll was over porous. Or sometimes it just happens!

I’ve never cracked open an egg I thought was rotten, but this is something of what I’d imagine I’d see!! Was it stinky??

Had the eggs been wiped/washed before incubating? This can increase the chances of contaminants getting in the egg. Or maybe there was a little micro crack. Or she’ll was over porous. Or sometimes it just happens!
I've had a porous egg hatch before

I've never seen anything like that. How did it smell? Was there a strong rotten egg smell or really not much?

I'm sure there are a huge number of different kinds of bacteria that could get inside so the effect and appearance can vary, but to me it looks like a mold spore got inside. How a mold spore could get inside I have no idea unless the egg was cracked.

I don't know what actually happened. Did you open the others you pulled?

Thank you so much everyone for your insights.

@ladybrasa Yes, it was horribly smelly!

@PippinTheChicken The eggs were not washed or rubbed before incubating since I wanted to keep the bloom on. I did not see any cracks on this egg.

The notes I had for this egg were that I had seen veining earlier in the candling. No blood ring @U_Stormcrow

@Ridgerunner the other two I took out looked nothing like this inside. One just looked scrambled and stinky, and the other looked like something had started to develop a long time ago and quit.

I guess I will list this as a strange bacteria or something and hope I NEVER see anything like this again. The photo really didn't do it justice.

Back
Top Bottom