bad eggs.

Too many treats, and stale feed can result in odd shaped or thin shells or reduced production.
Smell the feed if it has a strong smell, or a musty or damp smell, Chuck it.
Good strong shells need not just Calcium, but vitamin D, Manganese and other vitamins and minerals.
A layers feed has everything needed, but if they aren't eating enough, because feed is spoiled or you are spoiling them with too many treats or scraps. Egg quality will suffer.
I don't feed a Layers feed because most are only 16% Protein and my brown egg layers, feather pick with a low Protein feed and the 18% Layers feed I can get are 40# bags and go stale before its used up. I only have 3 hens.
I keep feed in my house. Feed stored in a coop or shed with fluctuating temps and humidity will not last long.
chick4me12, with 6 two month olds and 3 grown hens. I would feed a 18 or 20% Starter-Grower feed with Oyster Shells separately.
I am currently feeding a Non-Medicated 18% Start & Grow in a 25# bag with Oyster Shells in a separate container. My 2 year old hens haven't laid a thin shelled egg since I switched Memorial day. GC

Back
Top Bottom