bad eggs

kimskolfield

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
I have adopted two hens a sussex and bluebelle three months ago to my knowledge the big sussex has not laid a single egg and blue lays but her shells are realy thin or cracked and many of them are off or not edible they are free range have access to grit and oyster shell will they improve as they become more used to the environment or is there somthing else wrong?

dont no their age i got them from a re homing center who said they worm and treat etc before they are rehomed i feed them layers pellets and mixed corn and various scraps from the kitchen! i also have three small sussex bantams and ive never had a problem with them they are great little layers.
i think the big sussex bird looks a little old and has a dirty behind at the moment

I had a similar problem with some chickens I rescued. This is what I did.
Check for mites and treat them and the coop with a liquid spray and DE on perch ends, nesting boxes etc.
Worm them anyway then you know it's done.
Wash their bums to prevent fly strike with a weak dog shampoo or I used a dip solution that was for pigeons.
I put a powder in their food to help with diahorrea.
You can add a calcium supplement to their water to help the shells quality.
Keep treats and such to a minimum in definitely in the afternoon so they get the right nutrients.
Oyster shell or their own shells crushed up are great.

It's taken 3 weeks but I'm seeing progress - 2 of them are doing really well and the third has a clean bum now and hopefully now that's enabling her to take up nutrients.

Good luck - keep us posted xx

Back
Top Bottom