Bad Experience w/IDEAL Poultry Hatchery: Normal Occurrence?

Hi.
We've been using Ideal for almost ten years and have been incredibly happy, and have referred them to MANY of our visitors. However, I have not ordered from them in the past year and a half, so I cannot speak to weather there has been a disease outbreak or change in Staff. My experience with their customer service has always been exceptional. One suggestion, that maybe has already been mentioned, is that purchasing from breeders or hatcheries that ship causes stress to the chicks. If you do not take that into consideration, a new owner may experience massive loss. We use Gro-Gel B here for the first 48-72 hours with ANY new bird, and, of course, overhead heat lamps and brooder boxes or other covered or enclosed caging. The Gro-Gel B is, quite literally, a life saver. We even use it on our rescues now! Chicks are HIGHLY sensitive to even the slightest breeze so keeping them warm, and stress free is critically important. Ideal trained me when I first started by sending a care sheet. I had 100% success rates for all but one year, when I lost one chick (which they promptly replaced, adding about 20 random chicks so that the one that was replaced didn't have to be shipped alone). Needless to say, I was ECSTATIC and, frankly, stunned, with their handing of my situation. (They said it was because it was the end of their season, so that is not the usual response). All breeders, dog, cat, bird or other, face disease at some point. How they handle it with their effected customers determines their overall success. I would ALWAYS highly recommend Ideal, and if I experienced issues, I feel confident that they would make it right. I have not had such luck with other shippers. (McMurray comes to mind)
1f910.png
I hope this helps? I'm sorry you had a bad experience. In my experience, they are usually FABULOUS.

We ordered the "Surprise Special" and they are doing wonderful:)! The customer service was fantastic. I called in and mentioned I would be delighted with anything that peeps_ but wondered what I might expect this time of year and was told Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Broilers, etc. Well, I asked if there was any possibility of a Rhode Island Red cockeral or Barred Rock cockeral and she told me she would make a note to the packers and she did, it was on my shipping label. Well, I have never raised a Black Australorp, but after looking the information up about them I was thrilled, they are gentle and docile (and they already seem to be)! Then to my surprise there was the Rhode Island Red - super thrilled about that:)! Introducing him to Lucy, our Rhode Island Red hen next spring or summer that we found at the Kimberly Feed store this spring (she is my favorite and I always have a soft spot for RIR). Also, several Australorp, hoping for a male/female mix there and 2 black unknowns, four butterscotch and yellow splotched, several light yellow and I really enjoy the surprise, because they are all so healthy, running around and beautiful clear eyes and very vigorous:)! They were packed very well with straw bedding and two extras:)!! So, my only sadness is that I didn't also order the bantams when they offered the mix special! Also, I agree with Txwild, that heading straight to the Post Office and picking them up. Hayden Post Office did a great job of calling first thing in am-thanks there and I called them the day before to let them know what was coming. This is a good way to keep them from getting chilled and wrapping the box in a towel in warm snug car, having brooder box all ready with light, water and starter food. I'm not sure it matters, but once a long while back we got a few banty from a feed store with pasty butt and after I put a cotton ball soaked in warm water to soften the mess, no pulling, just let it soften, didn't hose the chick either. Did the softening asap and wiped it away and then rubbed the feed very fine and no more problem, also always use warmish water in waterer, seems to not chill them. Good luck out there and we give Ideal 5 stars:)!

Last edited:
I ordered 12 chicks through them, assorted standards from RIR, amerucanas, australorps, buffs and such, i have 11 left. One had a run in with one of my cats as a chick, none showed up unhealthy or anything. However i contacted them about a failure to thrive chick i got from my local feed store(who orders from them) out of a bantam assortment and i have yet to hear from them about that, but i alao bought 2 more amerucanas and a New Hampshire Red tgat are growing like weeds! Other than that issue i havent had a problem with any of the chicks ive gotten from,them. However the next time i get some chicks i will go through a breeder ive found locally due to prefferance.

Last edited:
I ordered 12 chicks through them, assorted standards from RIR, amerucanas, australorps, buffs and such, i have 11 left. One had a run in with one of my cats as a chick, none showed up unhealthy or anything. However i contacted them about a failure to thrive chick i got from my local feed store(who orders from them) out of a bantam assortment and i have yet to hear from them about that, but i alao bought 2 more amerucanas and a New Hampshire Red tgat are growing like weeds! Other than that issue i havent had a problem with any of the chicks ive gotten from,them. However the next time i get some chicks i will go through a breeder ive found locally due to prefferance.

I am so sorry your cat took one of your chicks:(! We had a racoon last spring and it was devastating, took a trio of Barred Rock banty and several others, with us sitting up till 3:00 a.m. trying to figure out how and what was getting in, finally saw him squeezing in a tiny spot on the metal roof that we screwed down along with a zillion other screws just in case. Hope your failure to thrive chick pulled through? What breed are you goin to be getting? Rhode Islands are a favorite for us, but we have a huge Delaware cockeral that we hope to get a few Delaware pullet chicks for and raise just for him to have some from, kind of continue his legacy -lol:)! My daughter-in-law says he sounds like a Billy Goat running over our walkway for treats. He is getting old, so hope he hangs in there for his harem. . .

Last edited:
I am so sorry your cat took one of your chicks:(! We had a racoon last spring and it was devastating, took a trio of Barred Rock banty and several others, with us sitting up till 3:00 a.m. trying to figure out how and what was getting in, finally saw him squeezing in a tiny spot on the metal roof that we screwed down along with a zillion other screws just in case. Hope your failure to thrive chick pulled through? What breed are you goin to be getting? Rhode Islands are a favorite for us, but we have a huge Delaware cockeral that we hope to get a few Delaware pullet chicks for and raise just for him to have some from, kind of continue his legacy -lol:)! My daughter-in-law says he sounds like a Billy Goat running over our walkway for treats. He is getting old, so hope he hangs in there for his harem. . .

Thank you hon, im sorry about your kids too! Raccoons are never a fun thing to have around when you hace chickens and they are very sneeky critters. The FTT chick is doing well, he eats and drinks, i got him some probiotics so hopefully that helps him. Im not currently going to be getting anymore until next spring, i have 17 good egg laying standards right now and 3 bantys. I hooe he sticks around for his girls! I have a couple RIR's, a NHR, barred rock, wyandotts, amerucanas, australorps, a big mis really lol. The next couple i get are actually gonna be some Yokohamas, the breeder i go to sold hers to s friend and she said ahe can get me somw hatching eggs/chicks.

My last order was placed in around may only to be told that the order did not exist even after speaking to employee Christina, who looked for the online order to no avail. Finally, I was told that the order was replaced and lost again and finally ready for pickup in June. But before I could arrive to pick up my order of sixty ducks they was resold to another customer, without any form of final communications either through the company website, emails sent to me or telephone messages even when calls was made but no messages was left. When I attempted to resolve the lost of my paid product or a full refund I was threatened with criminal trespass not only by the owner, but by the manager. Since 2012 I have been using ideal poultry without incident, my most recent order I lost several chicks in the first week out of fifty, the rest are feisty and healthy after ten months.

I plan on ordering through Ideal, only because they have rare variations of d'Uccles and d'Anvers (the breeds I plan on breeding for my business). Has anyone on here ever ordered Blue Quail Antwerp d'Anvers, Blue Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Black d'Anvers? If so, please send me pictures of your birds (preferably older birds, about five-six months+, chicks are fine as well)! I would like to know how they turned out and if they are quality for breeding. Thank you!

I've heard one bad review on their Blue Quail Antwerps, that they didn't appear to be purebred and one had a peacomb and another a single comb. And with all the reviews on how unhealthy the chicks have arrived through Ideal, I'm kind of starting to second guess, but I really really want these colors.

I plan on ordering through Ideal, only because they have rare variations of d'Uccles and d'Anvers (the breeds I plan on breeding for my business). Has anyone on here ever ordered Blue Quail Antwerp d'Anvers, Blue Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Black d'Anvers? If so, please send me pictures of your birds (preferably older birds, about five-six months+, chicks are fine as well)! I would like to know how they turned out and if they are quality for breeding. Thank you!

I've heard one bad review on their Blue Quail Antwerps, that they didn't appear to be purebred and one had a peacomb and another a single comb. And with all the reviews on how unhealthy the chicks have arrived through Ideal, I'm kind of starting to second guess, but I really really want these colors.
If you are looking for breeding stock, I definitely would not get them from Ideal. Their quality is hit or miss, even more so than some of the other hatcheries, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom