Bad experience with hatch....Now what????

Glenda-thaks for the recipes, I'll sure try them. Emit, I agree with you, the LG does tend to be a pain to keep at a constant temp. Thought that was just the way it was going to be, but lots of reading has convinced me that I should have either built my own or gotten a Hovabator. I'm really glad that I bought my little pre-hatched babies, they seem to be doing really good. 5 days and I have soooo much fun watching them. That was DH's way of trying to make me feel a little bit better about loosing all of my other babies. I really think that I will try the suggestions that everyone has made. I will finish cleaning the LG tonight and since I have no other bator, I will probably use it one more time, however, I am going to move it to a room that has less temp fluctuations as it is still chilly here and we need to use the furnace, thus the fluctuations. I intend to set it up for several days before adding eggs instead of the way the instructions advise, waiting 24 hours after the temp stays stable. I did not have fluctuations until after I added eggs and when the furnace kicked on more often. Also, I am going to try the additives Glenda suggested and do a very small batch this time. I think that I will also single out one breed of eggs, probably the Cochins and try a few of those. That way hopefully I can decide if there is a genetic problem or just a dumb first try. I was hoping to leave it to the hens once maybe, but no one has ever seemed to be broody and they leave the nest and never return, so that's not an option. Thanks again guys for all of the helpful suggestions.

ive tried to hatch eggs before and i never had any luck but i took the advice of my friend and this time out of shipped eggs i got like half that are fully devoloped for day 17 so i hope they hatch
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
Good luck with your hatch. I can't wait to get at least one of my own. My flock were all older when I got them, not chicks anymore. The chicks I bought have them wrapped around their little wing feathers. Wishin you all the best with yours too.
fl.gif
:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom