Bad hatch rate with shipped eggs- RANT...

The best I've had on shipped eggs was 50% hatch rate, which is fine with me, it is what I expected. The worst I've had was this last batch - of 18 eggs (which looked great - no cracks) about 12 developed. 6 made it to lockdown and NONE hatched! I know it sounds like an incubation problem, but I just hatched 3 sets of eggs under the same conditions . . .

I would buy shipped eggs again, but not for a while. I am happy to have gotten enough live chicks from the shipments that I have some genetic diversity.

Out of 26 I got 6 hatched and of those 5 were roos. I can't complain I did only pay for 12 eggs and so thats ok. I absolutely don't blame the shipper.

23908_shipped_eggs_004.jpg
Every egg completely intact but these things are a crap shoot. This is why I wouldn't pay a lot for eggs and those who charge for them are being unfair. Why should I charge you more for eggs than if you were eating them?

If you people don't pay a lot for eggs and the price will come down. If you do get a few chicks, count your blessings and buy an incu and hatch from what you've got or what you get. There is never a guarantee the chicks will lay the same "blue" or "olive" eggs the parents did.

Know the risks and live with them.

Hope for the best

Rancher

Last edited:
Hatching eggs is like gambling- fun to do, but usually a BIG waste of money. I have 3 dozen in the incubator shipped from the opposite coast- 2 weeks into incubation, looks like I have 50% fertile. No guarantees that they will actually hatch, but I would be REALLY happy if I got 50%, as that is the best I have ever gotten with shipped eggs. 0% is the worst, and I've gotten that more than once....
I just get way too tempted when I browse the hatching egg sites
tongue.png

One thing to keep in mind also - we can all blame poor hatches on sellers and the USPS. But there is another factor to be taken into account - the incubation practices of the buyer. If your entire incubation wasn't spot-on, you might need to share in the blame.

I have had some great hatches and some really lousy ones. Usually the lousy ones were because I didn't have proper control of humidity and temperature, didn't count the days right or somehow screwed it up anyway!
smile.png

Last edited:
Yup. It is a gamble. The eggs I have bought were all packed well. I certainly don't blame the sellers. It's just how it goes with shipped eggs. I don't spend money on shipped eggs that I can't afford to lose. I hope those that eventually purchase from me will feel the same way.

My last hatch- yesterday and tonight in the SAME bator---- 1 dozen of MY mix- 95% hatch-----1 dozen light sussex- I got 1 so far and 3 more pipped-rest are dog food.... they were shipped.

Most of the eggs that I recieve are packaged very well !!! Very few broken except for the last batch of marans. They were just stuck in a carton and bubble wrapped and threw into a box- i had a omelette when I opened that box.

I will continue to buy shipped eggs, but one question- do hatch rates get better in the spring when its not so cold??

I ordered Quail eggs and had great results. I ordered chicken eggs and had about 4 broken and only 4 hatched. The seller did agree if I pay shipping she will ship me more in the Spring. I totally agreed on the deal. I'm willing to try the shipped eggs again. I understand like many have stated, there are too many factors that can cause a low hatch rate. I don't feel that I can blame the seller because you don't know what happens after they package and ship them off. And as a seller they don't know how you care for the eggs once they are incubated. I believe it's a gamble for the seller and the buyer !! Good Luck to everyone on future hatches!!

I just candled 16 blue cochin eggs from AZ- 4 are good-rest had a blood ring or clear
sad.png
They had a long ride though. They were packaged PERFECT also! I have noticed that Even with the bad hatch rate- it is still cheaper than buying the chicks on the rare breeds though.

Back
Top Bottom