Bad Hatchery Experience

I have never ordered baby chicks before. I’ve always been a Tractor Supply buyer. This year I wanted colored egg layers which our local TSC didn’t have. I did some looking and decided to order from Hoover’s (the Hatchery which supplies our TSC). Out of 18 chicks I have lost 6 so far. 4 seemed very lethargic when I picked up my shipment and they ended up dying yesterday evening. One more passed before I went to bed and I found another first thing this morning.

I have shown them to their food and water. Some still are very “tired” and don’t show much interest. I put save a chick electrolytes in their water to give them a boost after their long transit. Is there anything else I can do?? Is this how it goes? Did I do something wrong??

Have you considered small breeders in your area, very local. I found my ameraucana breeder on facebook! Picked them up, total of 1 hour transit. Not to jinx myself :oops: , I have never lost a chick buying from small hatchers! :jumpy

I live in Iowa and I've never heard of Hoovers... I alternate between McMurray and Cackle, depending on what I want and who has a better price on it. I ordered 15 silkies that arrived on March 6 from Cackle. They sent 19, 3 had died in transit so I have 16. Since we've had them none have died so far they seem happy and healthy. In a separate shipment from them I ordered 11 Swedish female ducks they sent 12 and they are all still alive.
I get my meatbirds every year from a very small family farm hatchery Schlecht, and have only had 1 of those die in the 6 years we've been getting them.

Have you considered small breeders in your area, very local. I found my ameraucana breeder on facebook! Picked them up, total of 1 hour transit. Not to jinx myself :oops: , I have never lost a chick buying from small hatchers! :jumpy
I did try looking up local hatcheries on line and called 4. 3 had no voice mail. I left a message for the remaining one where at least the name was the same but I’m not convinced they were an active hatchery. I love the topography where we live, but getting things on-line that’s not a major store or amazon....good luck. I’m still new enough to the area that I don’t have the local knowledge. Honestly I even tried the BYC state search several times and had no luck getting that particular aspect of the site to work. I must be getting older, so frustrating some times. You know these things aren’t supposed to be hard.:mad:

Not that this helps with your current situation, but this is why I prefer doing hatching eggs. I couldn't stomach the idea of getting a box of dead babies - a box of nonviable eggs is a lot easier on the stomach (and wallet).

Back
Top Bottom