1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad idea

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Okie Amazon, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Well, too bad I don't have a video cam in my chicken coop, I would have some hilarious (to an observer) footage. I always wear flip-flops around the place - easy to rinse off etc. I am also almost always wearing some color or other of toenail polish. Once in a while, one chicken will peck at a toenail just to see if it's a goody.
    Yesterday evening, I go into the coop to feed as usual and suddenly I am being gang-attacked by chicken trying to peck my toes off! I literally had to throw and kick them away, dumped out their food and fled, kicking birds off my feet the whole way. It was only after I escaped that I realized what caused the problem. The toenail polish I am wearing right now is a golden/orange color. Almost exactly CANTELOUPE colored! [​IMG] Must Wear Shoes Into Coop!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hehe....I thought you were going to say your polish was a sunny yellow, much like the color of cracked corn! [​IMG]

You gotta protect the tootsies! [​IMG]

3. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    [​IMG]
    I never wear nail polish but for some reason my chicks love my toes anyway especially one of the Roos so I know first hand your experience.
    Sounds like it may be time to get a pair of close toes crocks (or one of the cheaper clones)

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I also USED to wear flip flops into the coop...knock off crocs are the way to go! Rinse off and toe protection!

5. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    to them.. toes are like little worms... I too am guilty for wearing the flip flops to the coop and many times have been "attacked" lol.. That's when I began wearing *gasp* socks with my flip flops! [​IMG] I know, I know.. totally not "trendy" for a 24 yr old! Guess I should look into those (what I believe to be) hideous crocks.. [​IMG] but anythings better than socks with your flip flops! [​IMG]

6. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I also wear flip flops all the time, luckily they have never pecked my feet or toes. Maybe they just like womens feet. LOL

7. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:Just don't use nail polish!

8. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:x2! I am always wearing socks with my flip flops! I'm glad I'm not the only 'freak' [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I love wearing my crocs to the coop ( and the barn, driveway, anywhere they poop really...)! They clean soooo easily! [​IMG]

10. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Thats what i wear everyday to the coop, basically anywhere outside.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by