Bad Incubator, bad!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by corvidae, Apr 10, 2011.

1. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    I've finally admitted my poor Americauna eggs have been poached. [​IMG] They were on about day 8 or 9 and the temp was perfect when I left for work that night, as it had been all along. When I came home 12 hours later, it was 106 (forced air incubator). I hurridly got the eggs moved to my other incubator (both are those styrofoam hovabators) with the temp normalized, but it was too late. I watched them for four days lose all their veining into horribly obvious rings of blood top and bottom while the little chicks just sat there not developing any further. My boys and I were so looking forward to these chicks. We are so sad about this.

To top it off, we had another dozen from another set incubating, now on day 17, and it looks like only 2 have developed correctly. No temp spikes on that set, but I candled them last night and they just don't look right. The bottom 1/3rd of all the eggs but 2 have a clear yellowish fluid and the insides look, well, kind of sloshy. I've not seen chicks moving in any of these eggs at any point during this incubation. I've left them all in and will lock them down tomorrow as scheduled since none of them smell or are weeping, but I am not at all hopeful. [​IMG]

Our last incubation with these same incubators went very well with about a 70% hatch rate. I can't understand what has happened with this second set of eggs. On the first one, I never did manage to get the temperature re-regulated--just kept dropping and spiking--so that incubator met the trashcan after I spoke words to it that shouldn't be repeated in the hearing of young children. But the second incubator has held it's temp quite nicely, so I can't fathom why the eggs appear to be doing so poorly.

2. countryangel3182

countryangel3182 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Berlin, NY
    I am sorry to here that. I too lost 48 eggs to high temp. spikes. I was very sad. They where going to be my chicks for the season. My incubator got tossed as well. I can't trust it for another hatch. Now I am working on 25 turkey eggs in a different incubator. Also styrofoam. Good luck with your other eggs. Hope you have some hatch.

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    So sorry to the both of you. Maybe it's time to dump the styrobators & upgrade to better. The majority of people who have used the styros, just get tired of losing eggs & being frustrated & disappointed. A few have good hatches...I never did. [​IMG]

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

What ever you do do not buy the cheap 20$ class room models off of ebay they I had 4 rare breed ones that cost a lot of money thinking that it would work just as good just smaller. NO! I put the eggs in at a perfect temp. Then half an hour later the temp is at 110 degrees ferenheit. I wastold to sell i but didnt want to cheat anyone so i just threw it away.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought an rcom-20 and am absolutely loving it!. I have my shipped duck eggs in it and its been spot on for humidity and temp. I also have a Dickey and it is reliable but huge. I always think I have to FILL it with eggs just cuz there is room. I never tried the styros, but after reading on here all of the trials and tribulations decided to go with those reputed to be idiot proof (me=idiot!![​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by