Bad luck with hatcheries for geese…

Country Birds

Chirping
Aug 7, 2022
Southern Idaho
I am super frustrated with hatcheries right now. Last year I ordered several goslings from Ideal hatchery a few months in advance and they called me the day of and said they didn’t have enough goslings and wouldn’t be getting any more and that was that. It was really frustrating, but I understand that things happen that they can’t control.

This time around, I decided to order from Metzer, since I’ve heard good things about them, and I placed my order in December for a completely different breed of goslings. Well I just got the same call as last year. Not enough goslings, no more coming.

How does anyone ever get goslings if they are never available?

I am super frustrated with hatcheries right now. Last year I ordered several goslings from Ideal hatchery a few months in advance and they called me the day of and said they didn’t have enough goslings and wouldn’t be getting any more and that was that. It was really frustrating, but I understand that things happen that they can’t control.

This time around, I decided to order from Metzer, since I’ve heard good things about them, and I placed my order in December for a completely different breed of goslings. Well I just got the same call as last year. Not enough goslings, no more coming.

How does anyone ever get goslings if they are never available?
Was it a rare breed?

Can you try a local feed store? I have at least three that get in goslings, but of course that's my area - not sure if yours is the same way :). I hope you find the goslings you're looking for!
I wouldn't. They're not selecting for quality. I'd go with Meyer Hatchery, I've ordered many birds from them.

I like Meyer hatchery too. I’ve gotten great American Buff and Embden geese from them. I also ordered some from Cackle Hatchery and they were good too.

One thing you can try is instead of ordering goslings, buy some hatching eggs instead. I was tired of getting the runaround with hatcheries for Dewlap Buff Toulouse geese for two years so I ordered hatching eggs from a farm in another state and had them shipped. I got 6 geese for less than the price I’d pay to get one from a hatchery (and they want you to have a minimum order too so it would be even more expensive). The downside is the eggs can break in shipping and the hatch rate is lower.

Last edited:
I like Meyer hatchery too. I’ve gotten great American Buff and Embden geese from them. I also ordered some from Cackle Hatchery and they were good too.

One thing you can try is instead of ordering goslings, buy some hatching eggs instead. I was tired of getting the runaround with hatcheries for Dewlap Buff Toulouse geese for two years so I ordered hatching eggs from a farm in another state and had them shipped. I got 6 geese for less than the price I’d pay to get one from a hatchery (and they want you to have a minimum order too so it would be even more expensive). The downside is the eggs can break in shipping and the hatch rate is lower.
I put an order in for Buff geese with Meyers, so fingers crossed! 🤞🏼

Ordering hatching eggs is a good idea though! Did you order way ahead of time and get on a waiting list or wait until laying season to order eggs that they already had available?

I put an order in for Buff geese with Meyers, so fingers crossed! 🤞🏼

Ordering hatching eggs is a good idea though! Did you order way ahead of time and get on a waiting list or wait until laying season to order eggs that they already had available?
I’m sure you’ll get good geese from them. They’re pretty well trusted.

As for the hatching eggs, I reached out this season and got on a list. Someone backed out so I got their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom