Bad Mattress or....

Quote:
Welcome to my world..............at my age if I wake up not hurting anywhere, it means I died in the night.

Well, I may be a bit unusual in this regard, but here is what solved my "waking up with a backache problems". I would wake up every day with my back aching, and as the OP said, it would go away as the day went on, but it was really bothering me. I went to Sears and bought the best mattress my money could buy. I laid on it and it was so soft and giving, and it had a pillow top and I had to buy special "deep pocket" sheets because it was so thick and cushy.

My morning backache not only continued, but got worse. For the next 5 years I slept on the darn thing because it was SO expensive and I couldn't afford to experiment with another. Eventually I got divorced, moved, found a boyfriend and moved in with him. He had just purchased a new Tempurpedic and was very proud of it. The first few nights I was uncomfortable throughout the night and woke with horrible back pain, worse than ever before!!

So I told him I was sorry but I just couldn't sleep in his bed. We moved to the spare room where there was no bed at all. I set up blankets on the floor, sleeping on top of a comforter. I immediately noticed the morning back aches were GONE! For the first time in 10 years, I woke up pain free. My boyfriend got an idea, so we bought a platform bed that you would typically put a mattress on, but skip the box spring. But instead of a mattress, we went and bought one of those memory foam mattress "toppers" that are only like 2 or 3 inches thick. We figured, it was a cheap experiment since we could always add a mattress if we didn't like it.

Well, we LOVED it! Both of us. He had never complained about previous tempurpedic or regular mattresses, but said he felt a noticeable improvement with this. My pain was completely gone. Further more, to this day, when I lie down at night, I can actually feel my back 'self-adjust' against the firmness. So a 3 inch memory foam topper on a platform with no mattress or box spring is what worked for me.

My best friend is the opposite; the softer the better. So I realize every back is different, but I wanted to share my story because so often people just assume that "cushy & soft" is better for your back, and that is not necessarily so.

Quote:
Oh yes, shoes are the worst! I had backaches and plantar facitis pain until I had to buy a new pair of shoes. It does not hurt as much but still have some pain. It might be due to my medications.

Anybody have one of those "Sleep Number" beds? I cant justify the price......2k + for a king sizes. I need a king size, I command a lot of real estate when I sleep
big_smile.png

Me & My Peeps :

Anybody have one of those "Sleep Number" beds? I cant justify the price......2k + for a king sizes. I need a king size, I command a lot of real estate when I sleep
big_smile.png

A fun way to test one is to get a room at a Radisson next time you travel. They have sleep number beds. I was intrigued by the concept until my boyfriend and I discovered that every time we stayed at a Radisson (we used to travel a lot), we both set it to 100, which is the firmest setting. So we skipped the expensive adjustable concept and simply got the firmest mattress could find.​

Quote:
A fun way to test one is to get a room at a Radisson next time you travel. They have sleep number beds. I was intrigued by the concept until my boyfriend and I discovered that every time we stayed at a Radisson (we used to travel a lot), we both set it to 100, which is the firmest setting. So we skipped the expensive adjustable concept and simply got the firmest mattress could find.

Yeah, I used to live on the road for my last job and thats where I seen them. I only stayed there a few times, I usually hit the lower cost chains to leave room in my travel budget for other things. I was just wondering if some people have them and if they would make the purchase again.

Me & My Peeps :

Quote:
A fun way to test one is to get a room at a Radisson next time you travel. They have sleep number beds. I was intrigued by the concept until my boyfriend and I discovered that every time we stayed at a Radisson (we used to travel a lot), we both set it to 100, which is the firmest setting. So we skipped the expensive adjustable concept and simply got the firmest mattress could find.

Yeah, I used to live on the road for my last job and thats where I seen them. I only stayed there a few times, I usually hit the lower cost chains to leave room in my travel budget for other things. I was just wondering if some people have them and if they would make the purchase again.​

We have one - a queen with the tempur - top. Purchased cause of DH back, we like it - DH really likes it. So much, that he replaced the bed in the travel trailer with one - he works out of state and lives in the trailer while working.

One thing I like about it is the adjustment. When my back started aching earlier this month, I changed my setting and problem when away.

I also second the good quality shoes. For my "everyday" shoe I use a New Balance - get one 900 or above as they offer the best support (foot/leg/back). Most of all my foot problems stopped with the NB shoes.

I gave up trying to find a comfortable traditional mattress that I could sleep on and just went back to a water bed. It works great, but now I never want to travel. I'm always in too much pain to sleep when I'm away from home. Maybe I should try staying at a Radisson???

Back
Top Bottom