Bad Mattress or....

I'd actually start with a new pillow. I was having a lot of neck pain, so I bought a new pillow. The new pillow changed my body alignment so much that I was waking with horrible back pain every morning. I switched pillows again, and both neck and back pain went away. I actually switch pillow back and forth most nights now. Some feel better in some positions, other in different positions.

I really want to try those foam beds.We have a few foam pillows(cheap stuff) and like them. I just wonder how well a non-T bed compares.If the bed is good it would be worth paying monthly on.My dh wakes up aching too.I told him to get a foam bed for his truck too.

They say you should lay on a bed(at the store) for atleast 15 minutes to really get a feel for it,but I doubt I could do that in public! BJ wholesale club also had foam beds that looked good.

Besides the actual comfort of the bed I am worried about companies that re-cover old matresses.Bugs,mold,and whatever could be lurking under a nice new pillow top cover.How can you even make sure you are REALLY get a new mattress?

My mom had a water bed for 20 some years.She loved the hot/cold setting.It finally started to leak.Kids liked the waves,but I could not sleep well on it.They are hard to find now in our area.

I really don't think it's the bed i've been sleeping on a 15+ year old bed and it dosen't bother me at all compared to my new 3 year old one. i'd suggest you start by changing the pillow and see whats the difference.

mom'sfolly :

I'd actually start with a new pillow. I was having a lot of neck pain, so I bought a new pillow. The new pillow changed my body alignment so much that I was waking with horrible back pain every morning. I switched pillows again, and both neck and back pain went away. I actually switch pillow back and forth most nights now. Some feel better in some positions, other in different positions.

I'm a side sleeper and I use a small pillow between my knees. It seems to help with my alignment. My problem is in my neck too, so I'm always getting a new pillow.​

I have a sleep number bed. It's okay. I like the fact that I can adjust the head and feet, makes it easier to read and watch tv. I loved my gel water bed. I need SOFT!!!
My shoulders hurt if the bed is too firm. I have the sleep number on the softest setting. I think I will try the new tempurpedic bed, it's supposed to be softer than the previous models. Or maybe a down feather bed. Hmmmmmmm, those chickens better keep laying
gig.gif

Slinky

i bought a tempur-pedic mattress after a car accident i had and i love it didnt think i would but really do love it . had to take out 2nd mortgage to get it but worth it.

I suffered a bad fall in the summer of 2003 and ended up with a lot of nerve damage to my spine. I had the most horrible mattress that wasn't really horrible BEFORE the fall, but afterwards? I could not, for a good 5 years or so, sleep solidly through the night. I would always wake up with a limb gone numb, or something hurting really bad, so my mom heard that I was considering purchasing this foam mattress at Wal-Mart of all places. It was an 8 inch foam mattress, and while I really wanted a Tempurpedic, it just wasn't in the budget. So for my birthday that year, she bought me the mattress. Love my mama!
love.gif
Cost $259 at Wal-Mart and it has been HEAVEN to sleep on! I've had it 2 years now and I absolutely LOVE it! It comes with a mattress cover too. I kept my old boxspring to set it on, and I'm so glad I got rid of that old bed, If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative and a great night's sleep, I highly recommend the memory foam mattresses from Wal-Mart. I LOVE mine. I get a much better night's sleep now and the limbs don't go numb nearly as much (time to invest in new pillows now, lol). I love being able to sleep on my side. After 2 kids and a bad fall that messes up nerves, that is NOT an easy task, but I can spend the whole night on my side with no problems. I love it! They have a couple of different foam mattresses at Wal-Mart in different thicknesses, but the 8 inch is as close as you're gonna get to a standard mattress depth, and sheets stay on it, so long as you don't buy really cheap discount sheets like I did back at Christmastime this past year
he.gif
. Still kicking myself for that one! I'm more comfortable in my bed than I am sitting in this chair right now. The way I move around I'd be considered fidgety, but it's just that body parts are constantly going numb, so I have to shift around to release the pressure on the nerves. Don't have to do that in my bed though. I can lay comfortably and watch tv without constantly moving around like I've got ants in my pants. Check it out. It sure is better than the $3,000 that a Tempurpedic costs!

Ok well I used to sell mattresses at an upscale furniture store in Mass. Jordans furniture. Known for their "sleep experts" Longest training ever but I got to know mattresses better than anyone should have to know them.

Rule of thumb is if you are a side sleeper you want a softer mattress. Does not have to be super super soft but soft enough to cushion your hips and allow your spine to stay straight.
If you are a back sleep you want a firm mattress that will do the same.
You will look goofy and not all stores will have dimming lights and stars above the beds so you can lay there and pretend its night but lay on the mattress together for a good long time. Don't let them rush you. Tell them you will let them know when you need help and just take 20 right on the store model.

Now after all that make sure you ask about their box springs because a crappy box spring can ruin a perfectly wonderful mattress. Also ask about center supports. Remember if they have theirs on platforms it will feel different when you put it on a frame so go somewhere that has beds set up properly. The others are just covering up their crappy box springs.

Keep in mind that you want to keep your spine straight. So pillows, mattress, even sleeping with your arm under your head will affect this so try out your mattress in ways you usually sleep. Heck bring your favorite pillow if you have to. Also a good store will have a 100% 30 day trade in. I won't buy from one that does not have this option. Even taking your time in the store you really won't know until you sleep on it. Some may require the plastic be on or you use a certain mattress cover. Fine

Back
Top Bottom