While I appreciate the frustration of a 100% substitution rate, the cause of the 100% loss is most likely the USPS. I can, and have, link news articles going back decades related to postal losses of shipped chicks. The hatcheries accept millions of birds as losses - write-offs - in shipping each year due to postal handling. They have no alternative.

Only USPS will ship live birds across state lines. They have, in essence, a Gov't monopoly on the work.

USPS, of course, doesn't have its own planes - it contracts with commercial carriers. When the weather is great, and the airlines are busy with passengers, it mostly goes smoothly. When there are a bunch of flight cancellations due to a weather event, or just fewer flights in general, losses accumulate - an extra day in a warehouse here, an extra there, rough handling all around.

Once a Cackle, a McMurray, a Hoovers has handed the birds over to USPS, they (and their birds) are at USPS' mercy. If you've ever expected a package from USPS and checked their tracking? It only seems to work when there isn't a problem...
Only so much can be blamed on the USPS. A 100% death rate when tracking was consider and delivery timely indicates something prior.

Yeah, that's the big appeal to me: getting the breeds and sexes you want. Let us know how it goes with Meyer. There are a couple of us with future orders coming in from them.

Good luck! I hope all goes well. Shipping is nerve-wracking.
New notifications here reminded me to come update lol

First Meyers order was a disaster šŸ˜­ Salmon Faverolles cancelled (as well as her Easter Eggers I believe). Most Polish DOA, as well as several other chicks. Last count was 7 dead within 12 hours. Meyers immediately refunded and Iā€™m unsure if she continued to have losses since I didnā€™t need to continue the conversation as all mine were dead or cancelled.

I did place a second order with them however since it was the only place I could get our needed breeds. It will arrive in June and that should put us past the avian flu issues šŸ¤žšŸ¼

First Meyers order was a disaster šŸ˜­ Salmon Faverolles cancelled (as well as her Easter Eggers I believe). Most Polish DOA, as well as several other chicks. Last count was 7 dead within 12 hours. Meyers immediately refunded and Iā€™m unsure if she continued to have losses since I didnā€™t need to continue the conversation as all mine were dead or cancelled.

I did place a second order with them however since it was the only place I could get our needed breeds. It will arrive in June and that should put us past the avian flu issues šŸ¤žšŸ¼
Oh my gosh I am so so sorry. Those poor babies. How was the customer experience with Meyer?

Oh, no. My confidence is further shaken.

When did the order ship? I'm starting to think that cold is a big factor - maybe the most decisive. And the USPS, or course. This is based off reading many, many accounts on BYC and hatchery reviews. Many poor results happen early in the season. I'm also learning that Polish are fragile, and many die in shipping.

My order is supposed to ship May 2. There's a Polish on the list. Starting to think I need to push it back to July, maybe.

I, too, had great losses near 60% from April shipping. Hatchery was understanding and I am receiving replacement chicks at the end of June.

Oh, no. My confidence is further shaken.

When did the order ship? I'm starting to think that cold is a big factor - maybe the most decisive. And the USPS, or course. This is based off reading many, many accounts on BYC and hatchery reviews. Many poor results happen early in the season. I'm also learning that Polish are fragile, and many die in shipping.

My order is supposed to ship May 2. There's a Polish on the list. Starting to think I need to push it back to July, maybe.
We also felt it was a weather factor. The heat pack was cold and weā€™d had a sudden dip in temps that week. Itā€™s been an exceptionally wet and chilly spring this year. Still getting snow right now! Iā€™ve been having horrible luck with Polish in general now. Just lost another yesterday šŸ˜­ My kid wants to replace it and Iā€™m so burnt out on losses

We also felt it was a weather factor. The heat pack was cold and weā€™d had a sudden dip in temps that week. Itā€™s been an exceptionally wet and chilly spring this year. Still getting snow right now! Iā€™ve been having horrible luck with Polish in general now. Just lost another yesterday šŸ˜­ My kid wants to replace it and Iā€™m so burnt out on losses
Maybe see if you can find a local breeder? I am so sorry...

Back
Top Bottom