Bad overnight poops, pale face, lost weight,

carlaquilter

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Buff Orpington, 16mos, weight 3.8lbs, has definitely lost weight, keel bone prominent, flock mates are 5lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Stopped laying early June - introduced 4 new babies to the coop and its been over 100 degrees here, attributed lack of laying to stress and heat, laid 3 soft shell eggs around that time
Otherwise behavior is fairly normal, scratching and pecking, just not sure if she is eating
Clear liquid gell-ish poops this evening

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Bad overnight poops for a month, behavior has been fine until today, today sluggish
Pale face off and on for 3 weeks, limp comb
Had a solid poop (only daytime poop I've witnessed) on Sunday, but nighttime poops always liquidy
Crop was always empty 3 weeks ago, now crop is always full, even in the morning. I was getting up and checking before sunup. I massage it and the size seems to decrease, but never go away. No foul smell.
Not interested in scratch anymore...found some undigested scratch in her overnight poop two weeks ago
I don't see any worms in the droppings
No coughing, expelling fluids, eyes normal

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other birds exhibiting symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No sign of trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I've seen her pecking at the food bin and witnessed her swallowing water. I've been giving her yogurt and oregano oil, but now she is refusing that. I haven't tried forcing it on her.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
See attached photo. Liquid, white overnight poops, with a pale green tinge.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Yogurt and oregano oil, garlic powder in feed (not sure if she is eating it). Hydro-hen (electrolytes, probiotics) side by side with fresh water. Don't know if she drank any of the hydro-hen. I have her staying in the house overnight tonight without access to food so I can check her crop in the morning.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
No vet local

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Poops at bottom of pic are flockmate's poops. Buff's poops are the upper splat of white.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They live in enclosed coop/run, deep litter. I let them 'free-range' the yard for a few hours every evening. They love to dust bathe in the finished compost pile and dig in the mulch.

Attachments

• IMG_4930.jpg
    IMG_4930.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It sounds like she has an impacted crop. That could be a secondary condition related to her laying the shell-less eggs. Has she molted recently? Try to get her drinking plenty of water. Try giving a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces, and later massage the crop several times a day. Make sure that there is granite poultry grit in a separate container from feed for each chicken to take as needed. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Crop was full this morning. I massaged it down to almost nothing. She refused yogurt and oregano oil. Put her in the run with the others and she drank water (left water with her in the house last night). She gobbled the duckweed I put in the run. I think I saw her at the feed bin also. So to my uneducated mind, she doesn't have an impacted crop so much as she has a malfunctioning crop? And, and as you say, as a result of whatever is causing the bad poops? Here are pics of her overnight poops.

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4940.jpg
    IMG_4940.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom