Bad raccoon attack

Day 3: our girl is really pale and pretty lifeless. She had some electrolytes with baby aspirin in it (very little) and she seemed to really like some baby food I had… oats, banana, and açaí. But once again very very little. I don’t know if I’m doing what’s best for her at this point. We dressed her leg this AM and she’s back to resting.
The other is ready to be outside (she wants to be) idk if I should keep her in or let her out? She’s walking eating and drinking. Her toe tips are black…. We soaked her about 5-10 min in Epsom salts and washed the poo off her feet… put antiseptic spray and neosporin.
Ph no, im so sorry. Her wounds look much better though, make sure she rests up and gets lots of water and food aswell. (if she eats) if the other one wants to take her out and watch her, let her out for a few moments and put her in, or let her have a run to walk in, otherwise id keep her in for now

Ph no, im so sorry. Her wounds look much better though, make sure she rests up and gets lots of water and food aswell. (if she eats) if the other one wants to take her out and watch her, let her out for a few moments and put her in, or let her have a run to walk in, otherwise id keep her in for now
Her leg looks the same. I keep meaning to take a photo of it but when it comes down to it, I don’t wanna touch my phone when dealing with her leg. If she can’t walk on it, idk if it’s humane to keep her alive or better to let her go. I don’t have experience with handicapped hens to know if it’s a life worth living for her?

Her leg looks the same. I keep meaning to take a photo of it but when it comes down to it, I don’t wanna touch my phone when dealing with her leg. If she can’t walk on it, idk if it’s humane to keep her alive or better to let her go. I don’t have experience with handicapped hens to know if it’s a life worth living for her?
i think youd be able to tell if you need to. She looks much better, if she seems lkke shes suffering, not moving, lonely, isolated snd sad then yes.

Update on Miss Bridgett. We got her into a vet this morning and ended up putting her down. She got an infection over the weekend and it was a 50/50 chance of survival plus a long road to recovery and possible special needs with her leg. Thank you all for your help and support though! The other is doing well and we are soaking her feet in iodine 3-4 times a day as instructed. I may take her out for play time to keep her spirits up as she recovers.

Update on Miss Bridgett. We got her into a vet this morning and ended up putting her down. She got an infection over the weekend and it was a 50/50 chance of survival plus a long road to recovery and possible special needs with her leg. Thank you all for your help and support though! The other is doing well and we are soaking her feet in iodine 3-4 times a day as instructed. I may take her out for play time to keep her spirits up as she recovers.
Im so sorry for your loss, you did everything you could.

I'm sorry to hear your Miss Bridgett didn't make it. But she had the best of care. Nobody could have done better for her. :hugsThese things happen to everyone who keeps chickens, so we all feel for you. But it's nice to hear Chicken #2 is recovering nicely, that puts a bright spot on a sad day. Just watch that when you let her in with the other chickens, they don't peck at her black toes. Best of luck to her and you!

Im so sorry for your loss, you did everything you could.
Thank you for the comforting words. They are such fragile animals! I ended up taking the other to the vet an 1.5 away but I now have discovered the most wonderful vet in the process. They put her on antibiotics and she is healing up so quickly now! Ive been watching and she’s the only one that pecks at her feet. I wonder if I should put that blue hen healer on it after her cleaning? She doesn’t peck a whole lot… hardly at all. I feel like it’d come right off though. But she is walking and dusting just like the others! So happy!!!! She had me smiling last night cuz at sundown she left the coop where the others were and came to my front door instead (I take her in at night to keep her feet clean and give her meds).

Thank you for the comforting words. They are such fragile animals! I ended up taking the other to the vet an 1.5 away but I now have discovered the most wonderful vet in the process. They put her on antibiotics and she is healing up so quickly now! Ive been watching and she’s the only one that pecks at her feet. I wonder if I should put that blue hen healer on it after her cleaning? She doesn’t peck a whole lot… hardly at all. I feel like it’d come right off though. But she is walking and dusting just like the others! So happy!!!! She had me smiling last night cuz at sundown she left the coop where the others were and came to my front door instead (I take her in at night to keep her feet clean and give her meds).
im glad the other one seems to be getting better.. :hugs she’ll get better in no time.

Thank you for your response. I bought iodine this morning and medicated feed… she is drinking electrolyte water praise the Lord and she is eating some. I’m not sure whether to wrap it or keep it clean and in the air? :( I just want what’s best for her and am unsure what is at the moment. I feel like if she could heal she could live a happy life.
Do both maybe wrap it at day and let it breath at night make sure you let her get sunlight outside some it will help with healing keep spraying and cleaning she can make it. It's amazing how the can bounce back make sure she is drinking water.....she will heal

Back
Top Bottom