Bad Reactions to Ivermectin?

RustyBulleit

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Connecticut
I treated two hens today with an equine Ivermectin. The manager at the local feed store suggested it and showed me how to dose the girls properly. When I went outside a little after dark this evening one of my hens was not in the coop in her usual spot. I found her hunkered in the dirt under a bush. I picked her up, inspected her for possible wounds, and carried her to the coop. When I put her down she just fell on her face. I picked her up and put her down again and she just kept falling, as though, her legs could not hold her up. I had to move her next to the other chicken who seems fine and is not displaying any atypical behaviors.

Has anyone had this same experience? Do you know of any possibly harmful side effects with Ivermectin, and a way to reverse these side effects?

The lethargic hen is a Black Maran, not sure if this matters.

Did she show any signs of illness during the day? Why did you give her ivermectin? What issue did she have that required it? Was it just worms? After falling forward, did she stay there splayed out on the ground, or did she at least sit upright?

It's very common for my birds to be REALLY unbalanced at night. Their night vision really sucks, so if I have to catch them to pen them up (which I can only catch them at night), I always have to place them on the roost in the pen just right. And even then, they fight it, because they can't see what they are about to step on.

Try bringing her inside where there is a lot of light, and see if she does the same thing. The light not only helps them see, but it kinda wakes them up a bit.

That actually sounds like an awful lot. The most of ANY medication I have given to one of my chickens, was .3cc of an antibiotic MEANT for poultry.

But what was the reason you needed the ivermectin? Was she sick already?

Somewhere ? ? I read a good article about using Ivermectin for worms and MITES in chickens. Suggest Googling "Ivermectin for worms and mites in chickens." This article was specific on how much and where on the bird to place it. I do know from lots of experience with Ivermectin it 'can' (to much ~ wrong place ~ wrong type i.e. paste / liquid) attack the central nervious system. I hope your chickie okay by now. I have never seen Ivermectin kill a critter. Keep you chicken warm and hydrated I think it will be okay. Let us know.

He suggested .8 cc
That's what I gave them
Of the paste? How much do they weigh? It shouldn't kill them, but you probably are seeing a side effect from too much of it, I think something similar has been seen in horses, but don't quote me on that!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom