Bad rooster day

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
I don't know if it's because spring is coming or what but they were being terrible today. I was walking across the yard and a felt something bounce off the back of my calf. I looked down to see one of my Dutch roos looking up at me. I thought he'd tried to fly up to my shoulder and crashed, but before I could give him any sympathy the little creep attacked my leg again. He got his butt booted around the yard!

An hour later I'm working on a gate latch when Zham! Right in the back of the leg again, but this time it hurt! 2lbs of fightin' fury turned and ran like mad when I grabbed the broom. I whopped him like a feathered hockey puck.

Couple hours later I'm coming out of the coop after fillin' feeders and there's my huge cochin roo hackles up wings spread. The fight was on! Usually a couple boots and he backs down but this time he wasn't going to. I grabbed my bamboo rod and gave him some whups then accidentally whacked him hard on the head. He gave one big flip then started twisting on the ground. I thought I'd killed him!!! I tried to pick him up but he did this violent flip roll and got away. I backed off to give him a minute. He twisted some more then rolled up on his keel head wobbling. Eventually he staggered to his feet. After about 15minutes he seemed fine, even chasing the dutch roos away from some corn I scattered. Sadly I doubt this will have been a lasting lesson. Nothing seems to stick for more than a week with that boy and I've tried all of Red Roosters recommendations. I guess if he's alive in the morning no permanent harms been done.

I like having the roos, but I'm seriously reconsidering having full sized ones. I rarely where long pants and those claws hurt, let alone the spurs.

Last edited:
next time you go in with the standard size,, chase him down, dont even wait for anything, RUN in and grab him,, walk around for a minute with him hanging by the feet,, then throw him in the coop or corner. bout half hour later, do it again,, next day, do it again. then bout once a week. lol
and for the spurs, grab a dremil with a cut-off blade, then bout half inch from leg cut it off.

edit ta add: YES,, theres just some day all roos are having a bad day.. ive had days when all 15 or so of mine want to be big boys lol

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. None of my roos are friendly at all. In my 2 years of raising them, I've only had one who I've loved so much, and he passed away in December. I've fought with the remaining three many times and trust me-they're hardy! I kicked my Silkie into a tree once, and boy, did he go fast! I've also kicked my Polish X into a fence. The Millie is a little too quick for me. I make sure he knows his place, all the same. It's hard work when you choose to keep them, but I don't want to find out that they make great soup. I made a commitment to take care of them all when they were chicks. So I guess I'll never know if they make a mean meal!
wink.png

I've sparred quite a few times with all of them. I've also gotten alot of death glares, too. Oh, those are fun. That's when you know the fight is ON!

Nep2.jpg

Dash2.jpg

Banties are supposed to be better because they're small, but they have some serious 'tude. Pack a punch, also! Cumpulsive fighters!

You can try cutting down the spurs. Might involve some power tools, though, so I'm quite sure you won't have a problem with that!
lol.png
roll.png
Also try a spray bottle. Walk up to them and give them a spritz. If they run, good. Stay put and don't run away. Never turn your back on them. Grab a hen or two and remind him who's in charge.

If he stays to fight, don't give him the satisfaction of winning. Kick him until he runs off. Then pick up a few hens.

Every once in a while, pick him up and carry him around. I find the point is better proven if you hold him down with one hand and hold him firmly by his hackle feathers with your other. Don't let him think you're weak.

Good luck with them!

Gotta ask.... how old are you folks Roo's??

Mine are almost a year old, mating etc.... and never do any of that... they rarely even scrap with each other...??

Maybe I don't have to worry about this till they are older..or until spring?

I have trouble catching him as our run is big with obstacles, yes, I once landed in the ducks pool because of him.
roll.png

If he sees the net come out he freaks at starts running around like mad. I need to line the net because he ends up with cut combs and waddles whenever I use it.

This is him, we call him Owl, when he was about 8 months old. He'll be a year old next month.

11550_owlo8.jpg

11550_dusting.jpg

I have looked to no avail... where is this Red Rooster doctrine posted? I just googled it and had a real laugh - Red Rooster Consulting has a behavior modification page... for people. HA HAH!! I have a roo that's about to find his way into a pot - I'm sure he'd appreciate a reprieve
wink.png

Quote:
Two of my boys are almost two years old. They other is only 9 months. I'd like to that it all depends on how you raise them, but I couldn't have been any nicer with my whole flock. Treats, love, respect, none of it works for my guys. I think it all depends on how much time you spend with them. The roosters want to be in charge and if they see you hanging around, you're a part of the flock and are a threat. Just like another rooster.

You just got lucky I guess. At a year old, roos are, I believe, fully mature. Unless you introduce any new members into the flock, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It seems like they all know their place.
smile.png

I had a hen that was puffing up and going after me. After a couple of shots of water with a 3/4" hose she ran into the coop and has settled down now.

Back
Top Bottom