BAD Rooster!

My stepmom has no trouble with her 3 rooster. She let them know early on who was boss she would spray them with the hose and also grab them by the neck and shake them...how she did it I am not sure but those roos don't bother anyone. We don't have roos and after hearing all the horror stories on BYC I am always weary when we go visit my dad and stepmom. But the roos never bother me or my kids (they are the ones I was really worried about)...I guess the shaking and hose was enough to keep the roos at bay. Good luck. If he is that aggressive it's probably better to let him go. good luck

Quote:
Too funny...I can picture this grown man walking around with a small rake...just waiting for the rooster. I know it's not really funny but you know what I mean!

yuckyuck.gif

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread, but since we are already on the subject of mean roos... I have just introduced the first roos into my flock (the first I have been around since I was a child on the farm) nearly 10 weeks ago with an order of straight run speckled Sussex, barred rock and buff orpington chicks from Meyer Hatchery. Out of 11 BR's, four are roos, out of four BO's one is a roo (very sweet), but out of five SS three are roos. The SS have grown and matured much faster than the other two breeds. The largest SS roo has been trying to mount all the rest, even the other roos, since he was 8 weeks old, when he started crowing. He jumps on their back and pulls out neck feathers. He has been attacking my hand since he was a fuzzy butt in the brooder. He would bite me so hard when he was just a couple of weeks old that it was all I could do to get his beak off my finger--I couldn't shake him off, I'd have to pry him off.

He regularly attacks me whenever I come into the run to feed and water. Today he took me by surprise when I had just stepped into the run when he flogged my bare leg hard enough to really hurt, even though he is only 10 weeks old. I have tried picking him up and putting him under my arm after he attacks for several weeks now. Usually when I put him down, he immediately attacks whatever he can reach on my body one more time, then runs.

My question--how early can you tell that a roo will be unredeemable and a candidate for the stew pot??? My purpose with getting heavy dual purpose birds was so I could pick out the best roo for breeding and use the rest for eating, but I didn't think I would have a problem this young. Even though he is large for his age, at 10 weeks he is not big enough to eat. If he stays this mean, what do I do with him until he is big enough to eat?

If he's even big enough to make a "cornish hen," he's big enough to eat. I say, let him grow till you've had enough. Then just do it. Putting up with that stuff AND spending money feeding it = lose/lose scenario.

Quote:
I would venture to say your rooster was destined for the freezer from an early age. It only gets worse as they get older, and you don't want to end up like me with a 12-pound GINORMOUS rooster tearing up your leg and leaving it black and blue.

Mmmmm, Rico & dumplings...

Back
Top Bottom