Bad roosters?

Doperooster

Chirping
Dec 8, 2020
Okay, so I have two rooster that we’re supposed to be pullets. I was outside today and seen them get on some of my hens the thing is that they both take the hens hair off and eat them!! My young leghorn rooster is a gentleman and he never has done this, I’ve been thinking should I get rid of them or will they grow out of it. One is a sliver laced Wyandotte and the others Rhode Island Red if it has anything to do with breeds. Also they grab the hens backs and take there feather off as well. I want what is best for my girls so it isn’t really convenient to keep these rooster that are causing trouble. There 5 months old and my leghorn is 7 months. I have 12 hens and I know that’s only enough for one rooster but I wasn’t expecting 2 more. Plz leave suggestions on what to do.

Most roosters need about 5 hens each IMO. So two roosters should be fine, but depends on the mating aggression. You said they eat the feathers? What are you feeding? DO you know who much protein is in it?
For the time being, add lots of obstacles to there run so the hens can escape form the roosters. How much room do they have in there run?

Most roosters need about 5 hens each IMO. So two roosters should be fine, but depends on the mating aggression. You said they eat the feathers? What are you feeding? DO you know who much protein is in it?
For the time being, add lots of obstacles to there run so the hens can escape form the roosters. How much room do they have in there run?
I feed them pellets and scratch grain and just fruits, vegetables, bread, etc. The feed is 16%. They don’t have a run the have my whole backyard which is about 400sq.

I would keep the leghorn and rehome or eat the others. 3 roosters will most likely cause problems later, whether from fighting or damaging the hens.
Yes I love the leghorn rooster he a sweetheart but the other’s may be going into my freezer or a new home.

I feed them pellets and scratch grain and just fruits, vegetables, bread, etc. The feed is 16%. They don’t have a run the have my whole backyard which is about 400sq.
That feed is not high enough protein with the scarps you are feeding. You need at LEAST a 20% protein feed. Any additional scraps will dilute the protein amount, if they have a protein deficiency, they will eat each others feathers for extra protein. Purina and Scratch and peck both have 20% protein, get them a higher protein food as soon as you can. Hope this helps!

They eat lots of protein I give them mealworm, treats from tractor supply and fruit and vegetables etc....
Mealworms need to be fed as a treat which should be 5% of the diet. That is about a Tablespoon per hen a day. No more. They shouldn't' be fed bread either, you need a higher protein feed, any additional protein will not bring it up the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom