Bad smell

Traveler17

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2017
I have a roost has a bad smell in his mouth and small pieces like cheese in the throat with big amount of saliva but his health looks good
Any body can help me....

Sounds like yeast infection..Possible thrush...Do you have any cilantro, it's an anti fungal if you can get him to eat it. Hold off the food.. Probably in crop too causing sour or slow crop...Plenty of fresh water.

Sounds like yeast infection..Possible thrush...Do you have any cilantro, it's an anti fungal if you can get him to eat it. Hold off the food.. Probably in crop too causing sour or slow crop...Plenty of fresh water.
Thank you

I have a roost has a bad smell in his mouth and small pieces like cheese in the throat with big amount of saliva but his health looks good
Any body can help me....

Hi @Traveler17

Can you post some photos?

It sounds like your rooster has Canker (Trichomoniasis). A vet can confirm what he has and hopefully prescribe the correct medication for you.

Some people don't have a vet, so do treat at home. Metronidazole (FishZole, Flagyl) can be used to treat Canker. Dosage is 250mg divided into 2 dosages given 12 hours apart - give daily for 5days. FishZole is found online or if you have a local fish store you may be able to find it there.
Canker is a protazoan infection, smells bad and is highly infectious/contagious. Separate your rooster and clean/sanitize all your water and feed stations that your other chickens are using.

Some people also recommend using Acidified Copper Sulfate in the drinking water to help prevent infection - if you feel that you need to administer that to the rest of your flock, it may not be a bad idea. Put 1/4tsp Acidified Copper Sulfate in 1 gallon of drinking water for 3days a month. (Use only a plastic water container).

This is what Canker can look like -- again, if you have a vet that can assist you to make sure you have the correct diagnosis, that would be best.
HCD-Digestive-Problems-3-Large.jpg

HCD-Digestive-Problems-4-Large.jpg

Hi @Traveler17

Can you post some photos?

It sounds like your rooster has Canker (Trichomoniasis). A vet can confirm what he has and hopefully prescribe the correct medication for you.

Some people don't have a vet, so do treat at home. Metronidazole (FishZole, Flagyl) can be used to treat Canker. Dosage is 250mg divided into 2 dosages given 12 hours apart - give daily for 5days. FishZole is found online or if you have a local fish store you may be able to find it there.
Canker is a protazoan infection, smells bad and is highly infectious/contagious. Separate your rooster and clean/sanitize all your water and feed stations that your other chickens are using.

Some people also recommend using Acidified Copper Sulfate in the drinking water to help prevent infection - if you feel that you need to administer that to the rest of your flock, it may not be a bad idea. Put 1/4tsp Acidified Copper Sulfate in 1 gallon of drinking water for 3days a month. (Use only a plastic water container).

This is what Canker can look like -- again, if you have a vet that can assist you to make sure you have the correct diagnosis, that would be best.
HCD-Digestive-Problems-3-Large.jpg

HCD-Digestive-Problems-4-Large.jpg
The same as what in the pics hapening to my rooster with bad smell from mouth

The same as what in the pics hapening to my rooster with bad smell from mouth

If you are seeing plaques like that, then it's most likely Canker. If you have vet care, that would be best.

Treatment instructions are in the previous post. There are a lot of threads here on BYC and the web dealing with Canker. It is sometimes hard to treat.

Do your best to keep him eating/drinking as well. He may have difficulty eating dry feed, so you can offer it wet and give him a few things that are "soft" as well like chopped egg.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom