Bad waterers

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I'm having a huge issue with store bought waterers. It must be me. I first bought the 4H brand plastic white and green 5 gallon waterer. It would not stop leaking. So I took it back about bought the metal version. It too leaks. I've been using a level to make sure where I'm putting it is in fact level. What is going on here?? Is it just me????????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear your troubles. That is what lead us to start using the Beakup cup waterers. Easy to refill outside fo the coop and goes to cups that do not leak.

I looked at a lot of watering solutions and went with the chicken nipples which is the method used by most commercial operations. No bowl for the chickens to make a mess in. The site has lots of info on various methods of using them. BTW they can only handle about 3 lbs of pressure so the options are to use them with a bucket (many examples here and on YouTube), or an expensive pressure reducing system from the house line (can see at Farmtek) or my choice siphon from a glass aquarium in the house to avod plastic and keep the water at a good temperature. Can see that here if interested
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/672358/my-chicken-watering-solution

How much did ya'lls chicken nipple system cost???
This is a guess because I lost track with a number of trips to lowes etc but it was $15 for the aquarium, about $25 for pvc and connectors and the freezer hose, $7.71 for 4 nipples (1 is a spare) from QC Supply shipping inc. Then I used some scrap cedar fence plank for the frame. Maybe a few more bucks for the handle/level but that's optional.

How do you suggest keeping the water from freezing in the winter. thanks

In the winter we'll put warm water in the aquarium which since it's in the house should be fine. Not sure if we might have a problem anyway with the outside hose and nipples. Since we're in Texas it might be enough to throw a dropcloth over it if we get a freeze. Could run a lightbulb out to keep under the cloth if needed at night for a little heat.

Back
Top Bottom