Bad wrap for Cornish cross/Cornish rocks

caelfi

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2022
I don’t understand why so many people on here think badly about the Cornish rocks. People need to understand that just because this is a high yield production breed, they can be raised at home in a good environment. Everyone is dissing the bird, the birds are not the problem. The commercially raised birds are unhealthy. The commercial producer is the problem. You can raise healthy hormone and antibiotic free, chemical free birds at home. They will have good quality high protein flavorful meat too. I’ve been doing it successfully myself. I’m happy, my customers are happy, and my birds are happy and healthy. My bank account is even happy. I raise 10-14 birds at a time starting each batch every 4 weeks. The hatchlings are ready to go out in the chickenntractor right after each batch is butchered. They get clean fresh water everyday. The tractor gets moved daily for fresh foraging. Each night after I move them I get in the tractor and pet them and cuddle them. Some come to me for crop massages( makes them sleepy). I check on their health they get to eat bugs and grass and weeds, I don’t kill my weeds most of them are human consumable or medicinal. We pull the bad ones. I don’t fertilize or spray chemicals on my yard. We have about 1.5 acres. We have very hot dry summers in the Texas panhandle. These birds are healthy.

Attachments

• 42674877-8C51-4655-9AC3-C0BFA7784DA4.jpeg
    42674877-8C51-4655-9AC3-C0BFA7784DA4.jpeg
    769.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1C6FD176-34DF-407D-B623-195AC97883D0.jpeg
    1C6FD176-34DF-407D-B623-195AC97883D0.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 09F7AF04-8CA3-4E1F-ACA4-B7233704FF77.jpeg
    09F7AF04-8CA3-4E1F-ACA4-B7233704FF77.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 18
I agree with you that the breed isn’t what everyone thinks. Where did you initially get your Cornish crosses?

Do you introduce new genes at any point?

I think that when people talk about the Cornish crosses, they’re typically referring to the super selectively bred broilers we order. Just the years of breeding for those is borderline genetic modification.

There have been many breeds bred for specific reasons over the years but it’s nice to see that people are breeding their own lines of healthy, everything bad-free birds.

Do you only sell the meat or do you sell chicks or eggs too?

I agree with you that the breed isn’t what everyone thinks. Where did you initially get your Cornish crosses?

Do you introduce new genes at any point?

I think that when people talk about the Cornish crosses, they’re typically referring to the super selectively bred broilers we order. Just the years of breeding for those is borderline genetic modification.

There have been many breeds bred for specific reasons over the years but it’s nice to see that people are breeding their own lines of healthy, everything bad-free birds.

Do you only sell the meat or do you sell chicks or eggs too?
You and I are reading that first post very differently.

I thought OP was talking about buying typical Cornish Cross chicks, raising them in good conditions, and butchering them for meat.

Now I don't know which way to take it. :confused:

You and I are reading that first post very differently.

I thought OP was talking about buying typical Cornish Cross chicks, raising them in good conditions, and butchering them for meat.

Now I don't know which way to take it. :confused:
Reading it again, I believe I misread. I guess I just made an assumption that she was hatching them but maybe not. I’ve done a few rounds of Cornish crosses. They aren’t bad birds by any means. I raised them on high protein feed so I can butcher quickly. I actively tried not to get to know them because it would make butchering more difficult. My flock started out as dual purpose and I have yet to butcher any because I’ve bonded with them.

So my new question for OP.

Where do you get your hatchlings from?

AFAIK hormones and antibiotics are prohibited by law for use in commercially grown chickens intended for meat. But I agree, nothing wrong with the cornish x and even better home grown.
Growth hormones were outlawed in chickens in the US in 1959. This article goes through some of the reasons why, but basically hormones are not needed and are not cost effective. They are still used on other meats, this applies only to chickens in the US.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...eive-growth-hormones-so-why-all-the-confusion

Antibiotics are not prohibited by law. There are restrictions but if you read this excerpt carefully you can see loopholes. It is certain antibiotics and a vet can still prescribe them.

The Food and Drug Administration regulates the administration of chicken antibiotics in the U.S. The most recent significant change in their regulations was made in 2017, where the use of growth-promoting antibiotics was banned and voluntary guidance regarding the judicious administering of chicken antibiotics was implemented.

Another crucial change was the requirement of medically important antibiotics to be prescribed to animals by a vet rather than being bought over the counter.

And the link.

https://sentientmedia.org/chicken-antibiotics/#:~:text=Today, the use of antibiotics to encourage growth,healthy enough to gain enough weight before slaughter.

Any packaging that says "no hormones" isn't really lying to you, they are no different to anybody else no matter what they imply. I consider that misinformation and spreading false rumors. However "no antibiotics" does still mean something.

I love the Cornish X. I have 51 chicks in their brooder outside my office window right now. 50 birds is about 600-700 lbs of feed (+/-).

My only issue with them is I cannot sustainably breed them - I have to buy the chicks from a hatchery. That's not a huge deal, but this year they were hard to find on my schedule. So I am also experimenting with a few Bard Rocks & Astrolorpes (sp) as dual purpose birds that I can breed and use as meat. Living Traditions Homestead (on YouTube, Kevin & Sarah) is experimenting with American Bresse. I hope to make a decision on how to sustain my meat supply in time for ordering chicks next year.

I agree. As I have raised them and are raising some now truly free range, it seems all of the "problems" are the results of flock management. Since they're free range I allow them access to food all of the time, just like all of the other chickens, except at night of course. They hang out just outside the house, in a very large fenced in yard. No leg or other problems. They feather out beautifully and are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom