Badly infected leg on rooster, please help!

A rasp can be used as well. The important thing here would be to trim the tip and round it properly so the rooster will not gore himself.

For me using the dremel has turned out to be the best, quickest and easiest way with no bloodshed at all. There are various videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Of course there are also videos on other options, but I consider most of them quite hurtful for the rooster, for instance twisting the outer spur off with tongs.

I am housesitting and don’t have access to anything but basic tools. I don’t have a dremel. I could go to the hardware store and get a file. I read about the hot potato method but that seems like it will open up more possibility for infection.

I was wondering the same.
Would be good to see him standing to assess spur location.

here he is, a couple of days ago.

CCA106EF-6A2E-413E-A058-CFDCADBD229A.png

These wounds might be caused by his own overgrown spurs as with every step he takes the sharp and pointed ends will cut into his own legs. that might be the reason these wounds cannot heal.

If this was my rooster, I would trim back his spurs using a dremel.

With spurs this long he will not be able to sit or roost properly as he will get impaled.
That's what I thought too when I saw that photo...wow, very long, skinny, pointy spurs, he's spurring his own leg! Those spurs needs to be trimmed ASAP. I've done mine with a small bolt cutter tool, as a dog nail trimmer was too small to cut thick spurs. I cut the spurs careful NOT to cut too far down into the pink quick. After snipping, I use my own nail file Emory board or a piece of sandpaper to smooth the ends round & no jagged or sharp feeling left. In your lap, a Roo should eventually settle down. I've done all this 1 handed while using the other hand to hold a very mean Roo, I'm only 95 lbs myself so if I can do it anybody can. You just get your place to sit (I usually take Roo into small bathroom & shut door, in case he does squirm away, I can catch him ez), a good light & your tools & sandpaper or nail file ready ahead of time, have a saniwipe, peroxide poured into a little cup (don't have the bottle with cap off, it'll get knocked over) paper towel, Neosporin, etc. You can talk softly & pet gently & hold firm but not hurting, to show Roo you mean no harm. Roo may flap or squirm a bit at 1st but usually settle down & will be calm as long as you have one hand holding his feet & arm around body. With my mean Roo, he is on my lap & I've got ahold of both his feet with 1 hand so he can't kick at me, he is kinda under that same arm too, so he can't flap, the little stinker does reach up to bite that arm but he gets a beak full of long sleeve...I learned from last time, no bare skin arms when holding him. That leaves my other hand free to do the work. Wish I had someone else to video or even help but like I said, if I can do it, anyone can.

Bandage...yours looks good. 👍
I've bandaged when a wound was oozing & I wanted to apply Neosporin. After it doesn't look so bad, no longer oozy or swollen & has a nice strong scab you can let air dry. I know some people have opinions about whether to bandage or not bandage, but when you want to keep a wound clean not getting mud, dirt or poo in the wound then sometimes covering with a bandage like you have is a very good option. I have used bandage like that then the kind of tape that sticks to itself to wrap it like a little cast at least for a few days to keep it clean and let the infection Settle down. Just want to say you are doing a good job, very caring, not even your bird, thumbs up to you, I wish we lived closer I would let you babysit my birds.😊

Last edited:
That's what I thought too when I saw that photo...wow, very long, skinny, pointy spurs, he's spurring his own leg! Those spurs needs to be trimmed ASAP. I've done mine with a small bolt cutter tool, as a dog nail trimmer was too small to cut thick spurs. I cut the spurs careful NOT to cut too far down into the pink quick. After snipping, I use my own nail file Emory board or a piece of sandpaper to smooth the ends round & no jagged or sharp feeling left. In your lap, a Roo should eventually settle down. I've done all this 1 handed while using the other hand to hold a very mean Roo, I'm only 95 lbs myself so if I can do it anybody can. You just get your place to sit (I usually take Roo into small bathroom & shut door, in case he does squirm away, I can catch him ez), a good light & your tools & sandpaper or nail file ready ahead of time, have a saniwipe, peroxide poured into a little cup (don't have the bottle with cap off, it'll get knocked over) paper towel, Neosporin, etc. You can talk softly & pet gently & hold firm but not hurting, to show Roo you mean no harm. Roo may flap or squirm a bit at 1st but usually settle down & will be calm as long as you have one hand holding his feet & arm around body. With my mean Roo, he is on my lap & I've got ahold of both his feet with 1 hand so he can't kick at me, he is kinda under that same arm too, so he can't flap, the little stinker does reach up to bite that arm but he gets a beak full of long sleeve...I learned from last time, no bare skin arms when holding him. That leaves my other hand free to do the work. Wish I had someone else to video or even help but like I said, if I can do it, anyone can.

Bandage...yours looks good. 👍
I've bandaged when a wound was oozing & I wanted to apply Neosporin. After it doesn't look so bad, no longer oozy or swollen & has a nice strong scab you can let air dry. I know some people have opinions about whether to bandage or not bandage, but when you want to keep a wound clean not getting mud, dirt or poo in the wound then sometimes covering with a bandage like you have is a very good option. I have used bandage like that then the kind of tape that sticks to itself to wrap it like a little cast at least for a few days to keep it clean and let the infection Settle down. Just want to say you are doing a good job, very caring, not even your bird, thumbs up to you, I wish we lived closer I would let you babysit my birds.😊

This is SO HELPFUL! Thank you! He has been pretty good with me doing wound care, I wrap him in a towel like a burrito like I do when I trim my cat's claws, then I put him in my lap upside down with his body/wings under my non-dominate arm. One food out at a time. He doesn't even try to bite me, just kind of goes into a trance. It's winter so I'm bundled up and no chance of biting. A couple of times I've covered his head when he freaked out a bit

I have some Fiskars curved shears, cat claw cutters (probably too small), and wire cutters. I think if I'm careful and score all the way around with the Fiskars and don't crush the spur it will be OK.

I feel like a bandage will be better with that big open sore, when I get a wound on myself I keep it covered. Especially with him pooing in the cage--it seems a bit weird to expose it. I use polysporin (I read that the pain reliever in Neosporin is not good for birds), nonstick gauze, and then self-stick vet wrap (not too tight for circulation), plus paper tape to keep him from pecking the bandage off.

Thank you for your thorough reply!

Anyone have experience with fish mox? I can get this over the counter and it's safe for chickens according to this post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-ultimate-medicine-dosing-chart.64281/

Fish Mox (pennicillin) 1 capsule per day for 5 days to treat wound infections and other infections sensitive to penicillin.
Fish Mox is usually Amoxicillin. Do you have the bottle so we can see what you have?
Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

The link you found is good, but the information is also 8 years old. As BYC has grown over the years, we have gotten new/better/updated information about dosing for certain medications.

Fish Mox is usually Amoxicillin. Do you have the bottle so we can see what you have?
Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

The link you found is good, but the information is also 8 years old. As BYC has grown over the years, we have gotten new/better/updated information about dosing for certain medications.

I don't have any, I was going to order but apparently that's not possible without a prescription. Oh well, I hope the rooster can make it without.

We used the hot potato method for spurs when my male had to finally have his shortened (such a shame. I hate making their spurs any shorter than naturally). Didn't seem to bother the bird but if9be wary of doing that when he's got other things bothering him

Back
Top Bottom