badly injured duck

No vet will see her. We just had a big ice storm trees and powerlines are down across the roads. I can't even leave the house. I flushed it with saline. It is all i have here.

If you have a vet in your area, it may be best to take him there. His injures are quite severe, and I'm afraid the prognosis may be poor trying to treat him at home.

If you can't take him to a vet, flush the wound well (unless his lungs/ or trachea is open) with some saline, or an antiseptic like Chlroxedine. You can use a turkey baster, or a large syringe equipped with a needle (18gauge) to achieve higher PSI which will aid in debridement. Once the wound is clean, apply a coating of an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or cream such as Silver sulfadiazine cream.

Keep him in a warm, towel-lined area with a shallow dish of feed and water provided. You can drip a few drops of sugar water, or Gatorade along his bill often to keep him somewhat hydrated. Although, I suspect this bird is going to need antibiotics, and tube feeding implemented.

Are you able to order supplies online?

If you have a vet in your area, it may be best to take him there. His injures are quite severe, and I'm afraid the prognosis may be poor trying to treat him at home.

If you can't take him to a vet, flush the wound well (unless his lungs/ or trachea is open) with some saline, or an antiseptic like Chlroxedine. You can use a turkey baster, or a large syringe equipped with a needle (18gauge) to achieve higher PSI which will aid in debridement. Once the wound is clean, apply a coating of an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or cream such as Silver sulfadiazine cream.

Keep him in a warm, towel-lined area with a shallow dish of feed and water provided. You can drip a few drops of sugar water, or Gatorade along his bill often to keep him somewhat hydrated. Although, I suspect this bird is going to need antibiotics, and tube feeding implemented.

Are you able to order supplies online?
Yes online is the only way i can order right now. Due to severe ice storm. It is warming up so if the power lines get cleared off the roads, i might be able to get to tractor supply.

Back
Top Bottom