baffled..need suggestions

raspeary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cortland New York
I have one hen that is pecking her eggs. First I thought maybe becuase they had a soft shell. Nope that's not it. I have three girls laying. The other two seem to be leaving their eggs alone afterwards. They also have oyster shell available to them. They have been laying for about 2 weeks now.

I work two jobs most of the time and can't always check their coop throughout the day but I always do whenever possible. Yesterday was her first time laying in the nesting boxes but my dear hubby found the egg with a nice beak hole in it and the egg was perfectly good with no cracks. She layed it after I left at 4:15 to go to work.

how do I stop it, especially when I don't know which hen is doing it.

Last edited:
I've heard that darkening the nestbox using a partial cloth covering of the opening might help. If they don't see it well, they might not be tempted.

Also, try leaving golf balls or hard fake eggs there too.

Good luck.

This will get worse with time and the others will pick it up. You need roll out next boxes. These will drop the eggs away from the hen after she lays so she can not pick at them. It is the only solution to egg eaters, which is what she will become in short order. The only other thing you can do is rehome here now before the others pick it up.

i'll have to try and figure out a way to make the nest roll away kind. maybe some strong cardboard and a small 2x4 piece. Hopefully she'll leave them alone.

I already have golf balls in the nesting boxes
I'll take any other suggestions still.

Look i the coop constuction thread area for roll out nest boxes. Better yet do a search here on it. There are threads that have how to make one. Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom